Chapter Twenty-Seven

Chapter 27

Shouting, crying, strangling and begging him to stop goes on and on for minutes now. Professor Wood wanted to extract my HSC for more than what is needed in case something happened in the future. I am not sure what, but there’s nothing I can do anyway since I’m all strapped down.

“There’s a way for James to still be human. But it will cost your health too. Are you up for it?” he asks.

I nod. I’ve taken too much pain for James; I won’t back down now. If there’s a slight chance for him to be normal, I’ll be glad to give my whole life. And it’s my own way of apologizing too. I decided his own fate.

“I’m all done, for now. Rest for a bit and we’ll do a transfusion tomorrow. I’ll explain everything when your brother arrives.”

“Can you just sedate him and do it against his will?” I ask him, my mouth is barely opening. “I know how much he wants to live, but I don’t think he’ll like living in a new complicated life especially when it will hurt me too.” Before he even open his mouth, my senses slide away.

I wake up with the screaming sound that begs for mercy. I don’t want to look at him, I don’t want to see how my brother is dealing with all the pain that I for some reason believe I put in him. “You should’ve sedated him more.” My voice cracks, trying not to cry as well.

“I didn’t.” Professor Wood says casually. “Just like your situation, his system should be clear from all chemicals. I deceived him, and it’s not something I’m proud of.”

“You did what?!” shouts James.

“Now I have to sedate him.” Says Professor Wood after he finishes transferring the combined experimented DNA and after seconds of desperately wanting for answers, James shuts up and sleeps like a baby. “I said you volunteered for his place in test experiments but something went wrong and I need his bone marrow to cure you. He immediately said yes.”

I try to get up, but the wires connected in my whole body prohibits me. Four red and blue wires are on my chest and head, dextrose, and white string-like wires that wrap every finger of mine. There is also a rectangular monitor in my left side that emits green light that dances in the beat of my heart. “Transfusion?” I ask him.

He removes the dextrose and changes it into a yellow watery substance and inject another wire that I guess is for blood transfer. I start to feel something burning inside me, and I know it is something to do with the yellow substance.

“This serum is hazardous to someone who had undergone any mutation experiment, whether it or he may be a hybrid or not.” He pauses, adjusting the flow of the serum into my body through a small wheel-like button. “To cleanse the harmful ingredient it need to be mixed into something stronger – since you have a unique blood composition and very strong immune system I figure you are the perfect purifier. The good ingredient will be mixed to your blood which will be transferred into your brother and act as an antidote. The harmful ingredient will remain in your body causing you different side effects that may lead to death if you overdose. You’re only option is to balance everything. Balance his beast and human time. He can’t be human all the time nor a beast.”

Professor Wood further explains everything and I can’t believe how complicated things are starting from now. If James stays too long as a human, I’ll die of overdosing. If he stays too long as a beast, his heart wouldn’t take it and he’ll die.

I never really cared for my life so much before because I knew James will always be there for our family. But now that his life depends solely on me all I think is how to live for him, for us.

I don’t know why fate is being so cruel with me. But for my family, I’ll do everything even it means facing my own game of fate. If it means cheating death and deceit its rules, so be it. I do not care of how hard the universe will slap me again with its adversities; all I know is that I need to stay alive for my family.