Chapter 13

For a week it went in this way. Chores were finished more quickly than usual, gigs were played, bonds were formed and Kili became reigning champion of GTA, and Fili refused to ever play Skyrim: Elder Scrolls again because it, 'Incorrectly displayed the complications and reality of a real hero and his quest'. The Twins found this hilarious. Mara and David worked on finding a new house with the cash Mara had hidden away while Andy continued to try and find a job without getting arrested. Meanwhile, Thorin was struggling.

He needed to give Mara the perfect date, one that would reassure everyone that his intentions were true and that he could take care of her even if she didn't need taking care of. How the hell was he supposed to do that?! By now it was a psychological issue for him. He had to prove he was worthy by performing this common human custom and then she could live like a queen forever at his side in Erebor. Except he couldn't figure out a date. He had asked the Twins, who mocked him and FIli who gaped and burst into laughter. Then he went to Kili.

"A...date? Like an outing?" he said, pausing the game and taking off the headpiece.

"Yes. Romantic and...important outing," Thorin mumbled. Kili nodded and ran a hand through his short hair in thought.

"Well...Back right after the Battle, Tauriel and I used to go walking in the evenings. We'd go as far as we dared into the Mountain and then find our way back. We'd take our time, looking at everything and just soaking it all in. It was a world I had never seen before, and Tauriel had obviously never been in Erebor, so...Why don't the two of you go for a walk and get lost in New Orleans." Every word was laced with hesitation. Thorin had made his opinion of Tauriel clear many times: She's more than welcome, we owe her much. that doesn't mean I have to adore her.

"Get...lost," said Thorin skeptically, blatantly ignoring the mentions of Kili's love life. Kili shrugged.

"Mara knows this city better than she knows herself. Challenge her, like a game. Lead her through the city, getting as lost as possible and then let her lead the way home. A romantic walk touring the city you never saw but she told you about. Then, when we get back to Erebor, do the same. Let her lead you through the Mountain and then you lead her back to the Hall of Kings," Kili said walking his fingers across his palm as he spoke. Thorin gaped a his youngest nephew. When did he become so deep and romantic? "What?"

"You're growing up on me," Thorin mumbled with a small smile. Kili grinned awkwardly and ruffled his hair slightly, a habit he had picked up from mara and the Twins.

"Shut up, you know I'll never outgrow you," Kili said, nipping Thorin's feeling of uselessness in the bud. He left his nephew to play his console game and went to see if Andy had come back home yet from her interview. he found her banging her head gently onto the door. He cleared his throat and she straightened awkwardly.

"No luck?"

"Luck seems to run short these days," she sighed. "Any luck with Mara?" she asked.

"Let's find out."

Mara bit the pencil between her teeth and rolled it slightly, the sound of cracking wood lost on her ears as her eyes skipped between the two screens, comparing the two houses Davd and she had picked. The Twins were not giving any opinions, and Andy said she didn't care as long as they were together. Which was great, except that meant she had to pick the new house which she wouldn't be living in for too long if Thorin had his way. Which just so happened to be her way. She knew if she picked one that David didn't like he would be upset, but would live there to try and keep her, or else he would pick the other one just to spite her choice. Unless he somehow didn't realize she intended to move out...he wasn't that stupid was he? The pencil split between her teeth and she spat out the wood in disgust. She closed the lid of the laptop and powered off the tablet, running her hands over her scalp.

"You look ill," came a rumble of familiar thunder and Mara leaned against Thorin as he settled next to her on the couch.

"David wants me to pick the new house, but I'm just going to end up back in Erebor with you," she mumbled and he played idly with her hair. He really, really, wanted to braid it but that would have to wait.

"Come. You need a break, and you still have to show me New Orleans," he said standing up and extending a hand.

"Huh?" she said as he helped her to her feet.

"I have been here nearly two weeks, and you have yet to show me your hometown," Thorin chastised lightly, even if it came out harsher than he meant it. Mara rolled her eyes.

"Fine, let me grab a coat and we'll go," she said and patted his cheek before jogging up the stairs. Thorin shot Andy a thumbs up as she walked by and she nodded. He hoped this worked out. Mara dropped back into the hallway with her green leather jacket, the blue hood pulled up over her hair. She extended a hand to him and he took it, letting her lead him out the door into the twilight air. If nothing else, Thorin did hold up his end of the plan: Get lost. Easy enough. He got lost. Twice. One thing he failed to factor in was the fact that Mara didn't know this was supposed to be romantic or date-ish.

"That's the oldest church in the city. Lots of people sought shelter there when the Runnings started," she said and gazed sadly at the old marble building.

"Runnings?" Thorn asked, trying to remember what a church was.

"When the po'bo's started raiding homes looking for Rebels. Rebels went to the church and when the Pastor tried to take them in, he was accused of being a Rebel as well. Excommunicated and executed," she mumbled and sighed. Thorin gazed at the church and felt a quiver of worry shoot up his spine.

"Are you safe here?" he mumbled pulling her closer slightly and she shrugged.

"Po'bo's don't come down this way. This part of town is a lot like when the world used to be like. Most of the people who live here don't even have cars," she said in a soft voice. "Look," she pointed upwards and Thorin saw a streak of light. "Shooting star."

"Make a wish," Thorin said and looked at Mara and she glanced at him with a smile. She took a hold of his braids and tugged him down touching her forehead to his and blinking up at him owlishly.

"I already have everything I could wish for," she said softly and pressed a gentle kiss to his lips.