Chapter 10

Andy insisted Fili wear a scarf because the air was getting colder and she didn't want him getting sick. While Fili argued the point, Kili tugged open the door and shouted in shock. Everyone turned as Mara and Thorin walked in, giving them all funny looks.

"Going somewhere?" said Mara in mild confusion.

"Two rebels were just arrested," said David as the Twins hugged Mara in a very Durin Sandwich way. Fili and Kili were speaking softly to Thorin in Khuzdul, and all three sounded anxious.

"What, who?" Mara asked in worry and Andy shook her head, holding the scarf and looking tired.

"No names were released, but they looked like a man and a woman. We thought-"

"What, us?" said Mara in shock. "No, we're fine. Ran into Arthur though." They all shifted nervously.

"Who's Arthur?" asked Kili and Thorin bristled.

"He's a vile wyrm that can go ishkh khakfe andu null," he snarled with his fist clenched.

"Thorin!" Mara laughed out and he glanced once at her before shaking his head.

"I stand by my words, however vulgar."

"Hello," Kili said gesturing vaguely.

"He's our neighbor," mumbled David glaring out the window.

"The one with the butter who tried to buy Mara this morning?" Fili asked.

"Buy me?" asked Mara in surprise. "I have a price now? Well then." She clenched her jaw in breathed heavily out her nose, shooting a look at the wall through which Arthur lived.

"He's trying to send her to Armenia to marry his son. He's a dirty old man and a wretch. No one likes him but we can't complain because he would report us all to the po'bo's," Andy sighed. "Everyone in this neighborhood is a Rebel to some extent, and we all get lumped together. You guys would be in especial trouble once I was arrested." There was angry mumbling and Andy clapped. "Right, It's dinner time. Maranda, your night."

"What? No it's the Twins!" she stated in annoyance.

"The calendar says otherwise," the Twins said as one. Their sneaky smiles showed their treachery though and David smacked them both.

"Go make some dinner," their older brother ordered and they melted into the kitchen, mumbling angrily in their own language. Mara suddenly glanced at the Durins with a guilty look on her face.

"Look...Rebels are most noticeable by their...odd hair styles. You'll notice we all dye our hair, it sets us apart, but length...well..." Kili frowned.

"All of your hair is fairly short," he pointed out.

"Yeah, but your isn't," David butted in. "Remember what we said about transgenders? you guys have long enough hair that question would be asked, and then when you're scanned to search records, nothing will come up. Then we'll have real trouble." Andy nodded in thought.

"You three don't look like Rebels, so much as nonbinary male borns," she agreed and Thorin huffed.

"What do you suggest we do? Dye our hair as well?"

"I was thinking of something a bit less extreme," Mara said and drew a small box out of her shopping bag. "You'll hate me, but it will grow back," she vowed and Kili grabbed his hair in fear.

"Mara you can't! Hair is a dwarves honor and a mark of his loyalty! you can't just-just-"

"Do you want to get arrested for lack of identity?" demanded Mara and Kili sighed.