One Last Thing....

Five years.

It took five years for Mara's hair to grow out. To reach her elbows and cascading curls and waves, the tips still stained green from the Other World. Lady Queen Mara of Erebor wore rippling layers of silk and velvet in court, seated at the side of Lord King Thorin. But when court was dismissed you would see her in trousers and a tunic, or a light and airy dress if the heat was unbearable. Her ings always shimmered, a myriad of blue and green, and her long pointed ears were decorated with piercings. She had tattooed on her skin that you might catch a glimpse of in the summer, and she had bright golden eyes that could chill you to the bone, or fill you up with warmth.

She often left Erebor for months on end. She would fly across the misty mountains, she would ride out to the North, leave Erebor at dawn or dusk, standing on the parapets with her husband. They spoke in soft voices and she would place kiss on his face and fly off into the sky wearing armor and carrying a bag. It was during the Queen's time away you had cause to fear the King. He was a good king, but without his bride to temper his wrath, he was a firm one. The Sister Queen Dis who took up her inlaws role in her absence was almost as wrathful as the king, but better at controlling her temper.

It was often in the autumn when she was away, sometimes leaving in the summer and returning with the leaves, but every spring Dwarrow and Men alike looked to the sky for a Fairy who flew straight to the gates of Erebor and to the King's study. Those moments were only seen by them, lost in happy warmth and soft words. The Queen bounced or flew through the halls, speaking with craftsmen and making sure the kingdom was happy. Alway Happy. Let the King worry about function, the Queen will keep the people happy.

So it was on a spring day, a Tuesday in may, one might think that The Queen returned from Rivendell, from her tutelage in magic, to see her husband reading letter from the King of the Greenwood. He explained that the King Thranduil was yet again campaigning for Mara to marry his son, a son who had long since departed for the North. They shared a moment of laughter and the name Aleksander was spoken with much giggling. Mara spoke of Rivendell and of magic she now knew. She promised to see him for lunch and went to clean herself from the road.

Half an hour later, Crown prince Fili and Heir Second Kili burst into the King's study. His wife, they told him had seized up in the hall of kings and was babbling nonsense. A new prophecy. The Heirs of Durin hurried to the hall with the golden floor. Mara kneeled in the center of the room, voice echoing and bouncing against ancient stone as people cowered behind pillars, magic flying around her in hundreds of colors, like she was locked in a rainbow. Her wings were spread wide, shadows flickering as she seemed to glow. He words were unrecognizable and when her voice faded the lights stopped and she slumped over, caught in her husband's arms.

"Amralime? My mara, awaken."

"Thorin?"

"Mara what happened?"

"She's coming, Thorin."

"Who? Who's coming?"

"The Last Star."

Coming soon: "Lost tales from the Lost Road" A collection of moments between now and then. Short stories on the adventures that Mara, Thorin, and all your favorites have over the years together, leading up to Bilbo's 111th Birthday party.

Also: "The Last Star" With the storm clouds over Mordor about to break, the One Ring must be destroyed and taken to the fires of mount doom. It's up to the Fellowship of the Ring to save the day-but the Lost Road hasn't finished it's work, and only one person Saw what was coming....