Chapter 11

Barney POV

Barney slowly woke up and felt a pressure feeling on his chest. His eyes opened drowsily and he saw that he was now laying on his back with Ferris basically laying on top of him. Her eyeliner was smeared and her lipstick was smudged kind of awkwardly but she honestly still looked great. 

He could tell she was still asleep and decided not to wake her. Instead he brought his hand down to her face and softly caressed her cheek similar to when she passed out at Tools place and he had to bring her up stairs. He really liked how creamy and soft her skin was, it was like petting a really fluffy cat. 

His chest was pretty sore from the two bullet impacts he had taken but it was way better than actually being shot. He sighed looking at her peaceful face and then noticed she was beginning to stir. Soon enough she opened one sleepy blue eye then the other and she was looking straight at him.

" Good morning Sleeping Beauty" Barney said smiling at her and she smiled back yawning. " Good morning Prince Charming" She said sarcastically then suddenly got tense when she realized she was on top of his chest. " Wait hold the phone, how did I get here?" She asked raising a brow looking    confused.

" I don't really know but I'm not complaining " Barney said shrugging and smirking. Ferris just rolled her eyes and pushed herself off of him still with a smile on her face " I bet that's how you would want to wake up every day, with a girl on top of you" She said while running her hands through her hair trying to comb it out. 

Barney chuckled " Yeah I wish" He said as he sat up. 

" Ok so how do we get back to the team?" Ferris asked him putting her hair up in a ponytail with an elastic band. " There's a road about a mile and a half north from here, we can get there and hitchhike to the hotel we were supposed to meet up with the others" Barney told her. She nodded and then yawned again and suddenly her stomach let out a rumble. Her face flushed red and she put a hand on her stomach " I think I'm hungry" she said awkwardly. 

Barney tried to not laugh out loud " Welcome to the club" Barney said as Ferris went through her backpack and pulled out one cliff bar. " I'll split it with you" She said and opened it and tore it in half then gave him a half.

After that they ate they started walking north towards the road they were supposed to find. They chitchatted in a friendly way for about 20 minutes. It was a pretty nice day you know, it was sunny the Pine trees gave casual shade and the pine needles crunched under their feet. 

Barney noticed that Ferris was fiddling with her locker around her neck. He had figured out she normally did that when she was nervous wait a second was she nervous because of him? 

" Hey Ferris, just out of curiosity but why do you alway wear that locket?" Barney asked gesturing to her neck. As soon as he said it he wanted to take it back, he saw how her facial features and mood just fell. The liveliness he had seen in her eyes just seconds ago evaporated. 

She looked down and kind of slowed her walk " Well, the Expednables are not my first team you see. ,y first team was a three man team. We were propaply the best bounty hunters around. We were first known as the Three Musketeers" Ferris told him as she came to a full stop with her hand stroking the surface of the heart locket. " But we soon became known as the Reapers, we could go in on a job and do it fast, efficiently, and make it look easy. Sadly, that all ended on our last job to take out Fransisco. We went in just like it was any other hunt and then I watched my two brothers die" She said and her voice broke in the last sentence.

She leaned with her back up against one of the tall Pine trees and Barney saw a clear tear drop streak down her face. He walked up to her cautiously and she slowly looked up at him with big clear blue eyes. She then hugged him and Barney hugged back. Normally he hated hugs but he could tell she needed some comfort. She wasn't the break down crying type thankfully, but it was still sad to watch. " Sorry for asking " Barney said softly since he honestly had no idea what else to say. 

Ferris smiled faintly " It's fine" She told him as they broke away and then started walking. Barney did his best to not ask any more personal questions. They just made small talk and talking about normal stuff.

They soon found the road Barney had talked about and hitched a ride with a nice elderly man who dropped them off at the hotel. And believe me, the team was sure glad to see Ferris.