Part 17

Part 17

Cheryl's Point of View

I played with my hands as Kimberley sat up on the couch and looked at me. I had no idea how I was meant to explain it all. I knew that whatever I said to her was going to hurt her. There was really no easy way to break the news to her. Kimberley placed her hand on top of mine, stopping me from playing with them. I looked up at her, she was smiling at me.

“I don't know how to explain.” I sighed. “I don't know where to start...”

“Start from the beginning.” She encouraged. Her tone was friendly, but I knew she was just as scared and nervous as I was about talking to her about this.

“Well, it was the morning I was moving to America. I hadn't done any packing or anything, so Hillary and David were coming along to help me. You know David, he's the guy who joined our management team, but then moved to America with me?”

She nodded her head. So far so good. I decided to continue.

“When I woke up, I had a text from you. Do you remember what it said?”

She shook her head this time.

“It said: Morning babe, I love you. Gonna come round later to say my goodbye, I'm so proud of you. Kimba” I recited. “And there was a 'x' on the end too.”

“How do you remember that?” She asked, her voice just above a whisper.

“I read the text every night when I was in America. I never deleted it from my phone.” I admitted. “Anyway, I read the text and placed my phone on the bedside table because I had to get up to get some breakfast. Just as I put the kettle on, the door went and Hillary and David walked in. I told them to go upstairs and start packing and I would be there to help them after I had eaten. When I went up to help them, I found them crowded around my phone. The text from you was still on the screen, they had read it.”

Kimberley's expression was still unreadable, I hated it. I wanted to know what she was thinking and feeling. I needed to know.

“Hillary asked what the text meant, so I told her. I told her we had been dating for six months and we hadn't told anyone. They didn't take it too well, and David said that I had to break up with you. I told him that I wasn't going to because I loved you and you were my best friend and I wasn't going to do that to you. I thought he was going to back down, but then Hillary started. She said that if I didn't do it, then they wouldn't take me to America. She told me that even if I hurt you, you would forgive me sooner or later.”

It was clear Kimberley was angry now. She had let go of my hand and her fists were clenched. Her lips formed a straight line and her eyebrows were drawn together. She didn't say anything, and that scared me more than anything.

“What are you thinking?” I asked through my tears that had began to fall as I placed my hand on her cheek. She swatted it away and moved further away from me.

“I can't believe it...” She laughed. “I can't believe you listened to them! I can't believe that you didn't tell me that, that was what the problem was! You made me feel unwanted, rejected and sh*t for so f*cking long and it was just because two f*cking people had told you to!” Her voice rose, she was shouting now. “I can't f*cking believe that Hillary told you to break up with me because she knew I would forgive you sooner or later!”

“Kimba... I'm sorry.” I wept. “Please, just please let me finish.” She didn't say anything else, so I thought I would continue. “When they left me, I thought about what to do. I thought about not going, but I knew you wanted me to do this.. so, when you came over that night, I began to act horrible to you. I knew that it was the only way I could get you to leave me. I meant none of it Kimberley, I am so sorry!” I cried.