22 Self-invitation for dinner

DAMIEN'S POV

It was a busy day and it was already afternoon. I was half way through an important file when suddenly my office door opened and in stormed a very angry woman. Without looking up, I knew who she was and I was already prepared.

"Damien James Reed" came an angry voice followed by a flustered Nina coming inside.

"Hello to you too mother" I replied evenly looking up from the file I was currently working on.

"Don't you 'hello mother' me. How long has it been that you are back and you haven't once bothered to meet me. And now when I come to you, you are acting like you do not have a minute to spare. Why are you trying to ignore me? You haven't even answered my calls. And who is this girl to stop me from meeting my son?" she said looking at Nina giving her a stink eye.

"S..sir, Ma..madam...I am so..sorry. I did not know"

"It's okay Nina, you can get back to your work. I will manage" I said trying to calm her down.

"Mom" I said coming over to her and giving her a hug. "You know I love you. It's just that I could not muster up enough courage after everything. May be if I had been there, things would have turned out differently" I said facing away from her.

"Son, you know it wasn't your mistake. You could not have stopped the inevitable. It had nothing to do with anyone, at least not you, you know that right?" she asked looking into my eyes trying to look for an answer.

"I know mom, I know. But..." I did not know what to say. I frustratedly ran my hands through my hair.

She came over to me and hugged me hard and feeling the wet patch on my shirt, I knew she was crying.

"Shh mom, we will be fine. Okay tell me what brought you here?" I said wiping away my tears and trying to divert her mind.

"Well since, you did not pick up any of my calls and if I invite you over for dinner with your family, you will be quick to make an excuse to not come and I totally understand why, so I am self inviting us to your house for dinner tonight" she said hitting my arm and looking at me as if challenging me to argue.

"Fine" I huffed

"Good. We will be there by seven" I sighed and nodded my head. And after a few minutes, she smugly walked out of the door.

The woman sure knows how to get her way.

It was already two and I decided to inform Amber about tonight's plans. And I wanted to hear her voice too and listen to Jenny calling me 'Dadda'. It was a very different feeling, a good one, that made me want to protect her at all costs. To fill the space in their lives that had been left vacant by circumstances.

My thoughts were cut off by Amber's voice.

"Hello...hello Damien. Are you listening?"

"Yeah. Hi. How are my favourite ladies doing?" I could feel her blushing on the other side.

"We are fine. Jenny just woke up from her nap and since then has already asked for you thrice" I warm feeling instantly filled up my heart

"Amber I just wanted to inform you that my family is coming over for dinner tonight. I myself did not know about it until a few minutes ago. Do you mind having everything ready?"

"Oh. Okay. Umm...I will prepare the dinner. Don't worry. And um..how many of you will be there?"

"We will be six in total, including you and Jenny" there was long pause and I was desperately praying for her to say yes. And I could already picture her biting her lip.

"We...I...Damien, it is a family dinner. We do not want to impose"

"You won't. I want to introduce you both to my family and I am sure they will love you. Although my mother could be a little difficult sometimes"

"But I have nothing appropriate to wear"

I smiled at her attempts to miss the dinner.

"Don't worry sweetheart, there are a few dresses of my sister in the main guestroom that would fit you perfectly. You both are almost the same size. And I am sure she would be happy to lend"

"Umm...okay. If you are sure" she said hesitatingly

"Yes, I am sure and now no more excuses. I will be back by six. Give Jenny a kiss from me" and with that I ended the call but now before talking to Jenny for a few seconds.

I leaned back in my chair thinking about the dinner. There was no doubt that they will like both Jenny and Amber but somewhere deep down there was this nagging feeling that the things might not turn out as expected.

I did not want anything to go wrong. Not now when I was finally trying to move on. When I could finally see my future with Amber and Jenny, my two favourite girls that I had grown attached to in such a short time.

----------------------------------------------------------------
I know this is a really short chapter and believe me I had wanted to put Amber's POV too but I felt real bad for not updating sooner.

I will update the next chapter this week.

Love you all,
Vote and comment

Happy reading :)