Chapter 4

I sat at our new breakfast bar in the kitchen, longingly staring out the window at the ocean.

"Alright." Mum said looking at me from the other side of the bar. I had no clue what she was saying.

"What?"

"You can go. You helped and have unpacked your things. The delivery men will help me with the furniture and I can do the decoration - you can do a little more when your back. You can go to the beach." She chucked her car keys at me.

"Seriously?!" I looked at her with excitement. She nodded.

I was so happy I did a little victory dance there and then, I danced all the way to my mum hugged and thanked her and skipped off to get ready.

I was pretty sure, I was not going to need to wear my wetsuit since it's nowhere near as cold as it is on Cornwall. With hesitation, I put on my back swim costume that hid the majority my scars and my baggy billabong top with some shorts. I didn't dare look in the mirror, and told myself no one was going to judge me.

With that in mind, I raced down stairs, chucked my board on top of Mum's car, strapped it on and drove off.

~*~~*~

It took me a while to get there because the whole place was so new to me.             I followed signs, made a few mistakes but found some good places I could go in the future, and finally got there.

Before getting out, I reminded myself what I had previously thought, this time I could finally just let loose and not overthink everything, or imagine judgment.

So I took my board, set my stare on the pure blue waves and ran.

However, being me, I didn't think through running on sand. Thirty seconds into my desperate race to the water, I had flicked onto a blonde sitting by his own board.
"Oh my god, I'm so sorry!" I squealed.

The blonde laughed as he picked his self up and brushed himself down. I took a second to take in his looks. Slightly long sandy blonde hair and a perfect body. There wasn't a lot of describing I could do, he was the surfer boy you imagine to find on the beach. Pearly white teeth in his gorgeous smile, toned skin and calm attitude to a strange girl who threw sand on him.

"Don't worry about, it," he beamed, his voice chilled. "Passionate for the waves, I get it." He chuckled.

I smiled brightly back at him, planting my board in the sand, and wrapping my arms around my waist, despite knowing my dimming costume covered everything. "Just a tad excited,"

"English chick here for the holidays?"

"Just moved here actually," I smiled, squinting at the sun in my eyes. "always wanted to surf in Cali."

"It's a wonderful place!" He threw his arms out beside him as if to gesture the beaches were the best part.
"I'm Noah, what's your name, gorgeous?"

"Ashley," I replied. "Listen, I'd love to talk but I've been wanted to get out there all day-"

"No need to explain, Ash, see ya."

I smiled and turned and began to run to the ocean again, with the unbelievable scene playing through my mind.

A guy actually flirted with me and didn't take a second thought about the imperfections inflicted onto my body.

No one took a second glance to me and I finally felt free, with less thoughts than ever before.

~*~~*~

I was in the middle of the ocean, stress free, caught my wave and then some asshole stole my wave.

I bobbed back up, breaking the surface of the thin water once again. I wiped my eyes and threw my hair back out of my eyes. In front of me was the one and only... Nick Hunter.

"Hey, gorgeous!" He offered me a hand, that I automatically declined.

I was not having my day ruined. Nope.
I hopped straight back on my board and started paddling out further.

"Oi Grumpy," his right behind me. I could see his hand reach into the water under my board.

Suddenly I hear a snap.

He snapped the fin off my board.

Luckily, I could sort of stand, I grabbed the board and walked my self in, ignoring him.

By the time I'm on shore, Hunter was still attempting to talk to me if we had been friends for years.

"Hey Wood, where you going?"

"Hey Noah!" I ignored Nick and walked over to the blonde. Hesitantly,  I jogged over and slammed my board down.
"Can I borrow your board?"

I wanted to surf. Even if it meant embarrassing myself by asking such a weird question.

"Yeah, sure, what happened to yours?"

"Some idiot snapped my fin." He raised one eyebrow.

"Was that idiot by any chance called Nicholas Hunter?"

The name made me laugh, it did not suit his image. I nodded.
"What happened I saw you getting up then Hunter came along?"

"He stole my wave and wiped me out and when I ignored him he snapped the fin." I sighed.

"Yeah. Little tip, never ignore Nick."