The Ugly Truth

Lani

7:29

We put all the boxes in the back of the UHaul truck. There was about a hundred of them. My stuff from home came in around 5.

Daddy helped us.

We all got on our separate cars and followed the vehicle in front of us.

Daddy followed me, I followed the truck, and the truck followed Aug.

It was a twenty minute drive without traffic.

*****

"That's the last box!" The moving man yelled from inside the back of the truck.

August shook his hand and payed him while I went inside and started to unpack with my Daddy.

We looked around.

The house had a pool in the backyard, a jacuzzi in one empty marble room, three bedrooms, a game room, a living room, a kitchen, three bathrooms, and a toy room.

Chandra had bought hella toys for the baby and I dumped them in the play room.

Me, Daddy, and August put out the dressers and furniture together, then Daddy left and me and Aug finished ourselves.

1:16

We were exhausted so we took our showers and went to sleep. In a few days we would help Daddy move in to his house. On that day we were telling everyone the good news. The baby and the new houses.

****

11:31am

I woke up and August was already up making phone calls to his family. I guess he couldn't wait.

"Yes mama" he was laughing.
"Okeh. I'll let ha know." He hung up.

He walked back over to me and played on top of me.

"My mama said congratulations on da baybeh and she wants us ta get married befa we make a whole family or whatever"
I sat up and looked at him with big eyes.

Those words he chose to use had me on 10.

Married. Whole Family.

Woah.

"I know. Are you thinking about it? Jus imagine if dat did happen. Us...having a whole famleh and gettin married ? My mama be speakin crazy. But did you want to have anotha baybeh or get married?"

I didn't respond. I still felt dizzy cause I had just woke up

" You don have to ansah me nie but eventually lemme know." He got up and started to walk downstairs.

"But just imagine if we did make it happen tho." He said walking out and going downstairs.

I shook my head and got up to go take my shower and brush my teeth and hair.

I thought his mama didn't like me though.

August

"One more time yungin." Mike said.
I nodded and let the instrumental begin.

"I know how it be
When ya trying ya best
But ya turn around
(And ya got nothing to show fa it)
So you stay on ya grind
Tryna get to da shine
Even turn to crime
(But how come I ain't made it yet?)..."

Mike stopped da music and took his headphones off.

"Again....but with more feeling this time"

I nodded and rocked side ta side as da music serenaded me.