5.

Chapter 5
I woke up to a taping at my window. Go away, I thought. I fluttered my eyes open and saw that it was three o'clock in the afternoon. Shit.

This summer flew by. It was already august and my home town friends were coming to verse my team. I want to say that I somewhat transformed this team.

I walked over to the window and saw Jake staring in. I held up my finger telling him to wait a couple minutes so I can get ready.

I rubbed my eyelids and remembered back to the first actual practice.

I blew my whistle, getting the football players attention. I had them here at six in the evening. Mainly because I was going over plans with myself and organizing the guys into groups and teams. I had a pair of black sunglasses on with a cup of coffee.

The guys kneeled before waiting for me to talk to them. "What's the matter coach? Late night?" Derek snickered, as did the rest of them.

"Don't start with me." I looked at him. He had dark hair with his brooding look that he always had on. I noticed the dark circles around his eyes, while every so often he would feed into his habit and lick his lips.

"Anyway. I'm splitting you guys into two teams. Gold and Black. Also we as a team need to discuss new plays and calls, but that will be tomorrow. Alright." I stated as they nodded in agreement with them.

So one by one I split the teams up. All the backups went on the black team, and all of the starters went on the Gold team. When we would actually start playing games, the teams wouldn't matter. It was just a way for me to organize them.

I split the field up. With the defense men doing drills like pushing each other to a certain amount, while the offense I had run quick drills along with running and catching footballs. And Jake and Marcus, well I went over plays with them for the first twenty minutes and had them doing a five step drill that would help their positions as quarterbacks.

I paced up and down the field watching every one of the guys and every so often helping someone who was lost or not doing something correctly. I was hard on them every step of the way.

I walked over to my window and let Jake in. He jumped on my bed and turned on my projector and started flipping through the cable channels. I walked over to my clip board and flipped through my notes, eyeing them and going over them.

It took three days for the guys get the plays right. Three days. I didn't care, I needed them to know each play, each call and I needed them to know it like the back of their hand.

"You worried about today?" Jake spoke up.

"No, it's not that." I trailed off. "It's making the decision on who to have as starters." I put the clip board down and fell into the bed.

"Oh." He said as he focused back to the Projector screen.

"Hey Danny." I looked up from my clipboard and saw Steven in a sweaty mess staring down at me.

"What can I do for you?" I looked back down at my clipboard waiting for him to continue. I felt his fingers touch underneath my chin and bring my chin upwards so that I was looking up at him. If I were sane, I would back away from the insane person.
But no one is really sane.