Chapter 12

Zayn was heading to Liam's room when Louis ambushed him. Ambushed. Like a lion in the wild, stalking his prey.

"Hey Zayn," he said. "Where are you going?"

"Liam's room," Zayn answered. "Just dropping something off." He held the small bag closer to his chest. "What are you doing?"

"I might go see Liam too," Louis said, putting his hand on his chin as if he had to think about it.

"Don't," Zayn said. He knew Liam and Chris had started without him. He knew there was no time to stop it. Then, Louis started walking and Zayn fell into a panic. "Louis don't. He doesn't want you there." His heart was pounding. Three months. Zayn was not letting this end after three months. But then Louis was at the door, and he was using his extra key to open it and Zayn almost puked from his nerves. He ran to the door just in time to see Chris shoving Liam away from him.

"Louis," Chris said. He sounded wounded. Chris looked at Liam who wasn't naked, but shirtless. Chris was naked. He seemed to notice this a second after Zayn noticed and moved to hide under the blankets of Liam's bed. Zayn stepped into the room, moving past Louis and onto the bed to where Chris was.

"I tried to keep him in the hall," Zayn whispered. "I'm sorry Chris."

"I'm naked," Chris mumbled. "Get me clothes." He sounded cold. Zayn got up and found Chris some clothes, not caring if they were Liam's. Louis was still standing in shock at the door. Chris changed under the covers and stayed there once he was done. Louis finally shook away the shock and stepped into the room.

"Chris?" He said. "Chris are you -"

"Get out," Liam hisses. "You don't just barge in here like that."

"I didn't know you would be eating ass Liam!" Louis yelled back. "I thought you said there was nothing!"

"There isn't anything! We're fuck buddies! There is no feelings here. I fuck him and make sure he's okay after. That's all this is." Liam's face was red from yelling. He was breathing heavily and his hands were fists at his side. Louis was once again shocked.

"Way to make it seem like you care," Louis said. "I wouldn't want to hear that if I was your fuck buddy." Liam groaned and covered his face.

"That's not what I meant," Liam said. "That's not what I . . ." He turned to Chris. Chris was sitting motionless. He didn't meet anyone's eyes. Louis couldn't be mad at this. He was doing the same thing with Niall. But Liam didn't know about that. Chris crossed his arms. Liam had made it seem like he didn't care. But Chris knew Liam did. Because Liam kissed him too much and they never really kissed that much. Chris looked up then and searched Liam's face to see what he was feeling. Liam looked stressed and scared. Chris wanted to comfort him.

"We're only doing it until one of us gets a proper date," Chris said. "That's always been the deal. It always will be. We aren't in love. There's no big secret. I don't matter to Liam. Not like you think I do. So if he sees this as a quick fuck then that's what it is." Chris held power in his words but inside he was breaking. He knew this was the end. Even if no one would admit it.

***

Things started getting bad when the boys went back to England for their tour. Chris went with them, of course, but there was nothing for him to do. Liam had started talking to someone and the end of their weird relationship was coming to an end. Chris knew it.

Louis hasn't told anyone. He had also failed to mention what he was doing with Niall and Harry, but Chris kept his mouth shut about that. He didn't need there to be more drama between them all. Niall knew something was up. Chris had stopped talking with him and as much as it hurt, Niall knew it had something to do with Liam so he didn't say anything.

The only one who didn't know what was going on was Harry. No one wanted to explain it to him. Hell, no one wanted to think about it. But Chris found himself thinking about it a lot. And he hated that. He wanted to forget anything had happened. He wanted to go back to the day he first found a letter sitting on his bed from a stranger in the UK. He wanted everything to reset. But nothing ever would.