Chapter 20

Liam felt alone. But Harry and Niall were there. He wasn't talking to them. Liam was kind of jealous. He wouldn't admit it. But he wanted they had. He had it. With the wrong person. Liam didn't want to hold Sophia like Harry was holding Niall. He wanted to hold Chris like that.

"He deserves the world," Liam whispered. This caught Niall's attention, followed by Harry's. "I could have given it to him and I fucked up. He deserves the world."

"He saw you as his world," Niall said. "And you're the one who hurt him the most." Niall took Liam's hands, moving away from Harry who watched with interest. "Chris has moved on. He has a new boyfriend or whatever. So you lost your chance, and he lost his world." This was news to Liam.

"Chris' moved on?" He asked almost too quiet. Niall took a moment to let it sink in.

"He's with a boy named Oasis now," Niall said softly, trying to make this a little easier on Liam.

"Oasis? Are you sure he's real?" Harry asked. Niall glared at him and Harry apologized. They turned their attention back to Liam, who was sitting up in confusion.

"He hasn't told me," Liam said, a little hurt.

"He doesn't have to," Niall said. "You aren't his dad. And please, if you used a parental kink don't bring it up."

"Chris hated calling people daddy," Liam whispered. He had started to cry. "I lost him." Niall looked at Harry, begging for some kind of help. But Harry didn't know what to do. He sat and thought for a while.

"I think you and Chris need a final send off," Harry said eventually. "To say everything you need to say face to face. Because I think . . ." Harry watched Niall while he spoke. "You're both hurting over this." Niall nodded in confirmation. "So you should have a real goodbye."

"I'll plan it," Niall said. "I will call Chris tonight when it's not so late there. How does that sound?"

"T-thank you."

***

They had to be quiet. Chris had never been to Oasis' house before. And he wished they weren't there for the reasons they were. Oasis had come to Chris' place crying. It was obvious by the way he was breathing that he ran there. There was a bruise forming on his cheek and Chris partly understood right away.

"A parent?" Chris had asked.

"N-no. They'r-re dead."

"Who?" This question caused Oasis to break down more. "Oasis please . . . Come here." Chris hugged him, and Oasis cried in his arms.

"I don't want to g-go back," he said. "But I have to."

"You don't have to go back to someone that's hurting you," Chris said. He held Oasis tighter. "You can stay here. I'll buy you new clothes. I'll do anything really."

"I have t-to." Oasis looked at Chris. "There's a kid." His voice was low. "I haven't told you because I wanted you to know me first." Oasis looked down, obviously ashamed.

"A kid?"

"A baby."

"You have a baby?"

"It's his. But legally it's mine. He didn't want t-that responsibility and the girl hates the thing. W-we need to go get him."

And that's how Chris and Oasis found themselves in Oasis' house. They were trying to be quiet. Oasis didn't know if his older brother - the man that hit him - was home or not. And it wouldn't be a surprise if he left the baby there alone. He had done it before. They didn't speak. Oasis led Chris into a small room that had a crib and some blankets on the floor. There was no room for another bed and Chris realized the blankets must be where Oasis slept.