Chapter 13

Liam was the one paying for Chris' condo. No matter how much Chris argued with him, he felt like it was the least he could do. Liam knew he hurt Chris. He knew there was something that would never be better in him. And he wanted to try to make up for it. Chris and Niall were flying out. Niall was going to help him settle in before returning. The boys were on break, after all. A short break. If it was longer Chris would have tried to stay. He would've argued with Liam over his feelings for Sophia. You don't love her! She doesn't love you like I do! Every thought hurt him. Liam wasn't any better. Chris could tell. And Zayn. Poor Zayn had gotten tied up in all of this by accident.

Niall had to force Chris on the elevator. Chris didn't want to see the condo. He didn't want this to be real. He wanted to wake up next to Liam, even if it was after sex. He wanted to relive those conversations they shared after their first couple times, where Liam was always so worried about hurting Chris that he usually sang him to sleep before allowing him to have a bath. Chris was suddenly hit with the memory of those nights and wanted nothing more than to go back. But Niall was dragging him off the elevator and into the hall.

"Damn. Only four doors up here. Liam went big for this," Niall whistled.

"I wish he didn't. He's not like . . . My sugar daddy or anything." Chris cringed at the name. "Plus this is too big for just me. Isn't it? I'm one tiny person."

"You can throw parties and meet people. You could like meet a boy or something." Niall shrugged. He looked around the condo with a small grimace. It was quite big for one person. "I'll come and visit, you know."

"Yeah, okay," Chris said. He looked at Niall and sighed. "I hope he's happy. You know?" And just like that Chris broke down. Niall put his hand on Chris' shoulder in an attempt to calm him down but he had no luck. Chris turned into Niall and tried to stop. He tried to be stronger but nothing was working. He really loved Liam. And in that moment Chris felt as if Liam never cared for him.

***

The date was soft. If that's how you could describe it. Sophia was a soft girl. Her hair was soft. Her skin was soft. Liam's smile was soft. He felt happy. Oddly happy. Chris had left. Their deal was up when Liam started dating Sophia. It was a strange feeling to let Chris go. They didn't have anything planned for when that day came so when it did Chris decided to go home. Back to Canada. Liam bought Chris a condo in the Calgary downtown area. Niall had gone with Chris to help him move in. Liam wanted to go but doing so would be too weird. Zayn had stopped once Louis caught them. He felt like it was too awkward for Louis to know what had been going on with them. He didn't go with Chris but he wanted to. Just to make sure he was okay, but Niall said it was something they needed to do. Just the two of them.

"Did you have fun tonight?" Liam asked, his hands on Sophia's hips.

"I did. Thank you for dinner," she said, smiling at Liam sweetly. Hesitantly Sophia kissed Liam. He smiled at that. Her lips were soft too.

"You're welcome babe." And then they were done. Sophia headed home and Liam went back to the hotel he was staying at. He was greeted by fans when he got there. Liam looked around before deciding to spend some time with them. It was late and there weren't that many fans out. Liam headed over to them with a small smile.

"Hello," he said.

"Oh my god hi," one of the girls said. Beside her a boy covered his smile and blinked away quickly forming tears. "I can't believe it's you. Like I knew you guys were staying here but I didn't think I'd actually see one of your guys. Oh my god hi."

"Hey don't cry," Liam said to the shaking boy. "It's okay. I'm just a person."

"I love you," the boy said. "Can I . . . Can I please h-have a picture?"

About an hour later Liam was finally able to rest. He headed to his room and took off his shirt before checking his phone. There was a text from Niall - a check up on what was going on with Chris. It was a picture of him sleeping in the couch with a caption of:

Doesn't like how big it is. He misses you. Broke down earlier.

Liam looked at the picture of Chris and felt a small pang in his chest.

"I'm sorry," he whispered. "Chris I'm so sorry." But Chris wasn't there to hear him. He was on the other side of the world with Niall out of all people. Liam didn't know where their friendship came from but it had come out of nowhere. It felt like a slap in the face when Liam saw Chris leave. But he pretended it was okay. Because that's what he was expected to do.

No one would know about how much Liam cried that night. Not even Liam himself.