Chapter 22

"Maria? Is that you?" I call to the voice.

"Come..." It calls again.

"Maria? Charlotte?"

"We love you..." A picture comes to my mind, my parents. They're calling me to come? Or is that another voice in my head?

"I love you too..." I whisper under my breath.

"Wake up!" This time it yells. I try to block my ears but I can't move my arms, what is going on? I try to move my legs but nothing happens. Am I dreaming? Of course I'm dreaming... what actually happened to get me to dream? I remember I was at the compound, in a fight with The Shadowed. They took us.

I jolt upright only to fall back down onto a hard cold surface, then realisation hits me. I can't move my legs or my arms. As my vision clears I see very bright lights above me, I can't shield my eyes so I look to my arms and see they are strapped out from my body. My legs are the same. I thrash and try to kick to get the restraints off but nothing works.

"Well well... Cameron... I see you've woken up." Maria comes into view in front of me and see she is smirking. I continue to struggle out of the restraints but again, nothing works. I will never give up. 

"I wouldn't struggle too much. The medicine will wear off soon, you'll be in large amount of pain."

"Pain? What have you done to me?" I try to yell but my throat closes up.

"You? Just you? Look around you Cameron. I suspect your dear friend Charlotte was awake the whole operation and felt everything. I heard her screaming."

I look around the room and see that there is lots of tables with people laying on them, Andy, Charlotte, and Kiera are laying on them as well as other people that are around me. I look to Charlotte and see she is fully awake and crying to herself. She looks at me sadly but then looks straight to the floor.

I look to where she is looking and see the floor is covered in red, red shining blood.

"You're a real b*tch aren't you! You come and be my friend and then you torture us! Where's Henry?!" 

 Suddenly, an aching sensation runs through my body and to my head; it was excruciating. This was pain like I had never experienced before in my life. Its nothing like a knife running through my body as I have experienced before but something else... Something different...

"Oh, I didn't torture you. We just made a few adjustments. Your wimpy body would do nothing good for us," Maria giggles.

"What would make you think I would do anything for you?!" I say through my teeth.

"Oh I just know you will." Maria says leaving the room. I look back to Charlotte, she looks broken. Even more broken than when she was recruited for The Society. Henry is no where to be seen...

"We'll get out of here," I say to her. Her eyes flicker up to me and for a moment I see a glimmer of hope but that disappears soon after it came.

"It hurts Cam... I don't think-" She starts.

"You'll make it. We all will," I try. Charlotte looks back to the blood.

"That's mine and yours combined, Cam. Maybe we're supposed to be together," she says with sadness. Relating us both to our blood, I don't think this is making her better.

"Charlotte. It's okay, we will get through this," I whisper to her. She doesn't hear me. 

I look over to Kiera and see she is awake too, she looks at me silently. Small tears fall down her face, she says nothing. I cannot imagine what is going through her head. Kiera was the head strong type person in situations that she knew she could win. This time, I think she knows she might not.

"I'm sorry," I mumble to myself. Maybe if we did run we would have had a better chance at living. They wouldn't have found us. I would have made sure of that. We could have gone to Europe and changed our names, we could have lived in peace.

I can feel the pain slowly going away although I know it will stay there like a piece of ice in my heart. I got all of my family into this. All my friends. What would have happened if I wasn't born and my family continued to live in The Society... Would everything be the same? Or would everything be different?

I wish I was a normal kid... applying to go to university... having friends like a normal person...

I suddenly think of Emma and Brandon, they risked their lives to try and get away from this life. Was it for nothing? Or did they go to a better life and place after they died?

"We've lost Cam." I hear from beside me. I look back over to Kiera, she's finally spoken and she has admitted defeat. This isn't what she would normally do, she would normally fight and fight back until she is free.

"We've never lost. We've still got a chance..." I say back to her.

"We don't," she says gravely. "We will never get out of here alive. She wants you... not us."

"Stop!" I almost scream. Charlotte whimpers.

"Nothing will be the same... we'll be broken if we do get out alive... very broken..."

"Stop saying that, Kiera." Some says from across the room, I know its Andy. "It's quite depressing when you say we are broken. I'd rather not think about it."

I frown to myself, do none of us want to escape this place?

"Mr Cameron Baxter I assume?" A voice says from a far away door way.

An old man steps forward close to the table I am laying on, "I hope my daughter, Maria, is being hospitable. It's been a while since we have met. I'd say you were about five years old when I offered your parents to join us."

I say nothing in response.

"Yet, they ran from us and The Society. Look where that got them now, dead. I really hope you and your team will join us-"

"Like hell we will," Kiera retorts, interrupting the old mans speech.

"Maybe you won't but Cameron may after I tell him something that he may want."

"He wants nothing from you and your people," Andy calls.

"Well... We will see about that..." The old man looks to me again "We can give you everything you have ever wanted. Think about it Cameron. It may be your only opportunity for freedom."

Freedom? For just me or my family? By family I mean Kiera, Henry, Andy and Charlotte. What about Xander? I will only be free when both The Society and The Shadowed are destroyed and everyone trapped in their grasps are free. I will stop at nothing to destroy everything that gets in my way of destroying everything that destroyed me...

_____________________________________________

AUTHORS NOTE: I honestly didn't know this was going to happen until yesterday when I decided to write something again... hope you like it. Is it good or bad? I really want to know cause its been almost two months since I have updated. I AM SO SORRY. SO VERY SORRY.