Eighteen

Calum

"I'm worried. What if he really takes him back?" Michael stressed.

"But isn't it his decision? Ashton is the one who has to decide." Luke told him.

"But if he takes Dale back, he'll be scarred for life."

"It's Ashton's decision."

"Wouldn't it be cool to have another dude in this house though? That's another person to beat at FIFA."

"And another person to feed, may I remind you."

"Yeah. You already eat the serving for two people."

"Are you calling me fat?"

"No, I'm just saying."

"But, it would be so cool to have another person here. I won't have to go to you dorks for help."

"A fourteen-year-old boy can help you with your everyday crisis'?"

"Yesterday he was telling me about Miranda." I added.

"Shut up!" Michael playfully punched me.

"Yeah, Dale's the guy to go for relationship advice." Luke giggled.

"Shut up both of you." Michael frowned.

"I like his hair." I said.

"Me too." Luke agreed. "Imagine how he got permission to do that."

"He probably didn't."

Luke chuckled.

"Do you think he'll be a troublemaker?"

"Like what?"

"Like, will he make a mess and not clean up after himself."

"I'm pretty sure he will clean up after himself."

"Wait, I know I sound stupid but," Michael paused for a moment, thinking about what he was going to say. "Since he has a girl body, he's gonna have-um."

"I guess." I shrugged, unsure as well.

"Do you think he'll talk about it?" Luke asked.

"I don't know. If I were him I wouldn't. It would be weird."

"This is all so confusing." Michael sighed.

"I know right." Ashton walked in the room, flopping onto the couch.

"SO HE'S STAYING?!" I asked, getting excited and worried.

"Yeah." Ashton sighed, burying his head in a throw pillow.

I jumped up excitedly, squealing like a fangirl. Michael did the same, kicking his feet as he carried on beating Luke at FIFA. We all sat in the living room, chatting about when I realized our new family member wasn't here.

"Where is Dale?" I asked.

"Sh-I mean, he went up to he- I mean, his room." Ashton stuttered.

"You really are trying, aren't you?" Luke asked.

"Shut up." Ashton groaned.

I giggled as I stood up, going to go check on Dale. 

Dale

When Felicity had taken me home, she made fun of me when I told her I was a boy. She told me I was insane, and that it wasn't right for "a beautiful young girl" like me to want to be a boy.

That day I was contemplating on cutting my hair. I knew I was a boy, and I wanted to show it. I was tired of my feminine body, and I wanted people to see me as a male. I didn't do it that night, but for hours I stared at myself as I held my long brown hair up into my hat, trying to see if I would look like a boy.

"Knock knock." I heard Calum knock on the door.

I walked up to the door, opening it. Calum stood there with a grin on his face, holding a bowl with some unpopped popcorn kernels in it.

"Hey." He said casually, smiling down at me.

I waved, unsure of what to say or do.

"What you doing?" He asked.

I looked back at where I was, in front of the mirror. I had been staring at myself, messing with my hair.

"N-Nothing." I squeaked.

"Oh. Well, the boys and I are downstairs playing FIFA. You can come join us if you'd like." He said.

I shook my head, wanting to be nowhere near Ashton for a while. Even though I said I forgave him, I really didn't. If he was supposed to be my father, he wouldn't have said those things or hit me.

"You sure?" He asked, his smile fading.

I nodded, wanting to unpack my things.

"Well, this place is pretty empty right now. What will you do? Are you hungry?"

I shook my head, despite being very hungry. I didn't want to have to throw up, even though I haven't had lunch or dinner yet.

"Dinner is soon, so I hope you'll be hungry by then." He said.

I nodded.

"Would you like a tour of the house?" He asked.

I didn't want to say no, but I wanted to fix up my things. You know, get used to the place before the day Ashton really does take me back. I'm pretty sure he will some day.

I nodded anyways, making Calum smile brightly.

"Alright then. I will be your tour guide, Calum Hood. If you have any questions through the tour please do not hesitate to ask." He said in a silly voice.

I held in a giggle, watching him use his bowl like a steering wheel for a golf car.

"Please put your seatbelt on, Sir."

Sir.

My heart fluttered. I pretended to put on a seatbelt and watched him start making car noises. He took me everywhere in the house, every room, every closet. Even the attic, where all the boxes of old things are kept. It seemed like a nice place to hide, for whenever I needed to be alone.

As we exited the kitchen, I glanced at the clock on the wall. 7:56 p.m..

"That was the last room. Are there any questions before the tour is over?" Calum asked.

"W-W-What time is dinner?" I asked.

"8:30 p.m. everyday." He responded.

"CALUM!" I heard Luke yell from the living room.

"Hold on one second." Calum poked his head in the living room.

I stood silently in the hall, unsure of what to do. I had half an hour until dinner, which mean talking and questions and having to sit next to Ashton. But even worse, eating food.