Twenty

Ashton

I watched Dale stuff his mouth, eating two plates full of the spaghetti and meatballs. I couldn't keep my eyes off him, not after what Michael told me he was allergic to. I assumed "Transphobics" was supposed to be me, but I wasn't really sure what it meant.

"Ash." Michael poked me.

"What?" I spat, setting my fork down.

"Calm down, you were bending the fork." He said the last part quietly.

I looked down at the fork, bent a bit but not too much. I embarrassingly looked down at my empty plate, feeling the boys' eyes on me.

"Slow down." I heard Calum chuckle.

I heard Dale mumble quietly through a forkful of spaghetti. I looked up at him, setting his fork on his empty plate. He sat back, crossing his arms over his chest. The sleeves of his flannel were pulled up, but his wrists were pressed against his stomach. I'd have to check for cuts later.

I assumed he'd hurt himself in some way once in his life. I mean, all homosexuals do right?

And since he was a boy and used to be a girl- I guess- does he still like boys? Or does he like girls now? Wouldn't that be a bit complicated? I'm not sure I could handle knowing he "was a girl" and hearing him talk about liking a boy.

That would make him gay, right?

"Ashton, stop." Michael lightly punched my arm.

I noticed I was bending the fork again. Angry, I glared at Dale, who was writing on a piece of paper. He seemed to be writing a paragraph, with my name in it. I wanted to snatch the paper out his hand and see what he was writing, but then "Team Dale" would tell me off once again.

He's my son, isn't he?

"Did you guys like it?" I asked, throwing a fake smile on my face.

"Yeah, it was great." Michael burped.

"The meatballs were under cooked." Luke said, twirling the fork between his fingers.

Michael giggled, covering his face with his hands.

"There's always something wrong, isn't there." I sighed, glaring at Luke.

"I'm guessing you loved it, right Dale?" I asked.

Dale's head shot up, his hair covering his face. He stared at me, his steel-grey eyes seeming to be staring deep into my soul. He just nodded, going back to writing on the paper. I watched him closely as the others started talking.

"Ash." Michael tapped on my shoulder.

"What." I sneered, still glaring at Dale.

"Is there dessert?" He asked.

The room fell silent, everyone's eyes on me.  I did have some cookies that Bryana got me left, but I was saving them.

"No." I said, earning a wave of disappointed groans.

Dale gave the paper he was writing on to Calum, who nodded at him. Dale stood up and left the room, making me wonder where he was going.

"Why was he crying when he first entered the room?" Luke asked me with an angry tone.