Twenty One

Dale

Brown mush swirled in the toilet bowl as I pressed the button frantically, the knocking on the door getting louder.

"Dale, you okay in there?" I heard Luke ask.

I whimpered, my throat burning. Ashton's meatballs were spicy when you are eating them and when you are throwing them up, I learned. My knees slid on the shiny floors, a few splats of my dinner on the toilet seat.

"Dale?" The knocking stopped.

I ripped a wad of toilet paper from the roll and wiped the seat, trying to get rid of any evidence. Standing up, I looked in the mirror. My hair was sticking up everywhere and my eyes were red and teary. My shirt disheveled, the sleeves rolled up to my elbows, I looked like I came back from the dead.

"Dale, everything alright?"

I nodded, but quickly remembered he couldn't see me nod.

"Yeah." I croaked, my voice raspy and high.

"You sure?"

I coughed loudly, putting my arm over my mouth. Once my coughing fit stopped, I rinsed my mouth and face, the ice cold water refreshing my skin. The smell was horrible, it hung in the air no matter how much of the air freshener I sprayed above my head. I tugged the hair in my face behind my ear as I stared down at the toilet. It was filling itself up with water, no evidence of any dinner being thrown up.

I couldn't keep it a secret for long. I couldn't keep any secrets from them knowing how interrogative they were. They would ask me questions about everything I did, I wouldn't have a second of fresh air to myself. They would probably send me places with a body guard or a spy following me around, making sure I wasn't doing something wrong.

How old were they anyways? They looked younger than any "normal" parent should be. They didn't even look old enough to know how to tie a tie.

Or even a bow tie.

I pressed my sweaty ear against the white door, trying to tell if someone was waiting for me on the other side. When Calum was showing me around, I noticed one of the rooms was flooding with musical instruments- including a keyboard. I had to check it out.

I couldn't hear anyone on the other side, so I slowly opened the door a bit, peeping through the crack I made. I couldn't see anyone in the hall, so I dashed out the bathroom.

I silently sped down the hall, my body feeling as heavy as an elephants. It was dead silent in the house, only the sound of my shallow breathing to be heard. My heart raced as I noticed the door of the room with the instruments in it was open. I slowed down as I neared the door, looking back down the very long hall.

Such a big house for only four idiots.

Michael

"Where's Dale?" I asked.

"Bathroom." Luke said as he entered the living room.

I pressed buttons and pulled the joystick rapidly, stealing the ball from Calum. Making my player run for the goal, I knew this game was in the bag. I always win.

"GOAAAL!" I cheered, dropping the controller on the floor.

"Ugh, again?" Calum hung his head.

"YEAH, BABY! WOO!" I stood up and danced.

"I beat you this morning though." Calum pouted.

"That doesn't count, I was hung over." I said.

To be honest, it gets boring always winning. Don't get me wrong, the feeling of beating someone at a game is amazing, but once you get used to it it's not as exciting as the first time. Especially when there's only one person who will put up with your inevitable victory.

But, now that Dale is here, I have another person to beat. Or maybe he will be the reason my reign ends? Who knows until we play?

"I can't wait to beat Dale." I said.

"I'm rooting for him. At this point, I need someone to remind you of the feeling of loss." Luke rolled his eyes.

"Don't you get tired of the same game?" Calum asked, pulling his phone out his pocket.

"Yeah. Play a different game for once." Ashton laughed.

"FIFA will always be the best game." I stated.

"You only like it because you dominate everyone you go against. It's basically your second career." Luke said.

"You're just jealous." I sat down on the floor, a goofy grin plastered on my face.

Minutes of silence passed, the wonder of what Dale was doing growing in my head. Who really takes that long in the bathroom?

I stood up, walking out the living room without a word. I walked up the stairs silently, my arm brushing against the wall. I always kept close to the walls when walking up stairs. Walking straight down the middle had so many risks. Someone could push you and you could fall! But if you were near the wall you could stop yourself and hug it for dear life.

"True story, kids." I said to myself.

I stood in the hallway, noticing the bathroom door was open. So Dale wasn't in the bathroom. Where could he be?