Fourty Five

Dale

"DALE! OVER HERE!" I heard Luke yell.

I spun on my heel, searching the enormous crowd for him. I was shaking like a chihuahua, tears rolling down my cheeks.

I felt a hand on my shoulder and I jumped, biting my lip to keep myself from screaming. I fell back on my butt, dropping my bag and the bottle of water Karen had given me.

"Don't worry, its just me."

I looked up to see Luke towering over me. I sighed deeply in relief as he put his hand out for me to grab. He pulled me up, stretching past me to get my bag.

"Ashton wasn't feeling well so he sent me to pick you up." He told me.

I nodded.

"Sorry for scaring you." He chuckled.

I nodded again.

He stared at me for a second, before leading me into the parking lot.

Ashton

"Here ya go." I threw my phone at them.

"Thanks." The older girl said, catching it.

"Mhm." I grunted, falling back into the sofa.

I slouched down, my arms and legs spread wide. I watched the older girl dial the number and put the phone up to her face, biting her lip. The little one beside her was staring at me, it was uncomfortable.

"SO!" She shouted, startling me.

"Be a little quieter, could you? Michael is sleeping upstairs." I groaned.

"M-Michael?!" She gasped. "OH MY GOD! He probably looks adorable when he sleeps!"

"Oh, you're a fan?" I sighed, rolling my eyes. "Are you even lost or were you looking for us?"

"Both, honestly." She shrugged. "Carter here got us lost twice before we found you."

Carter had her hair pushed up into her blue beanie, but a strand of brown hair was poking out. She was wearing a huge denim jacket and black leggings. Her black combat boots were also huge, but they made her look taller.

"And you are...?" I questioned the younger girl.

"Lisa Mercelli. I am your BIGGEST FAN!" She squealed.

"Ugh." I groaned, covering my ears. "Please don't scream."

She started saying something about how much she loved us so I stopped paying attention. Carter had put the phone down, and was looking around the room. She stood up and walked towards the shelf with all our awards.

"Where's your daughter?" She asked.

"What?" I coughed.

"That girl you adopt-"

"He's not a girl." I stood up, stomping my feet.

She turned to face me.

"I don't know who you are but I'm sure you can find your way home. Get out." I pointed at the front door.

As if on que, it opened.

"GUESS WHO'S HOME!" I heard Luke yell, the sound of his keys dropping onto the floor echoing through the room.

Luke and Dale walked in, Luke holding both their shoes in his hands.

Dale put his bag down on the floor by his feet and stretched his arms out, yawning. His skinny body trembled as he put his arms back down to his side, his hair falling in front of his eyes.

"Who's this?" Luke asked, putting the shoes on the shoe rack by the door.

"No one. They were about to leave, werent you?" I said, scowling at Carter and Lisa.

"OH MY GOD! LUKE HEMMINGS!" Lisa screamed.

"In the flesh." He sighed.

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I'M STANDING IN THE SAME ROOM AS YOU! YOU ARE MY BIGGEST CRUSH EVER! PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE MARRY ME!" She started crying.

"W-What?" Luke backed away as Lisa started reaching out to him.

"Lisa, calm down." Carter said, pulling her friend back by her sweater collar.

For a second, we all stared at each other, unsure of what to do next.

"So, you were leaving?" I squinted my eyes at Carter.

She looked away from me and at Dale, who looked terrified.

"Dale? Is it really you?" She said, smiling. "Its me, Carter."

I could see Dale was having trouble breathing, his face flushed. He obviously did not like having strangers in the house, neither did I.

"Get out." I told Carter.

"Dale, you remember me right? You were like 12 when they took you away, I think." She said, walking up to Dale.

He froze when she put her hand on his shoulder.

"Don't touch my son. GET OUT!" I yelled.

"Oh, hush, Ashton." Lisa sucked her teeth.

Minutes of silence passed, Dale and Carter staring at each other. I was super uncomfortable with them here, but I didn't know what to do.

"If you don't leave right now I'm calling the police." I said.

"Wait," Carter said, letting go of Dale's arm. "She remembers me, I know."

Dale closed his eyes and fell backwards.