Chapter 2: Teenagers have even more secrets

The next few months Cameron and Matt moved as planned and by late January the four friends started working with father and son. They got better and Cameron encouraged them to get out of their shells and be more creative. Each of them learned to play a new instrument. Tris already played the piano, violin and guitar and therefore decided to learn to use the drums. Marlene knew piano and cello and learned guitar, Lynn knew guitar and drums and learned piano, while Uriah knew piano and drums and learned guitar also. They were all happy and worked hard to not disappoint Cameron.

Matt studied music. He got a scholarship and went to Juilliard and graduated with high honors. He decided to join his dad, who was a successful musician, but lately talent scout. And it seemed that the latter found his new stars. Cameron asked them if they wanted to try solo careers or be part of a band, he would have helped them either way. The four of them decided to be a band and called themselves Divergent. Cameron organized a few gigs for them, obviously without the parents knowing about it. They wanted to be their own bosses and not babied around. To keep this a secret however they changed their appearances a little bit, as well as adopted stage names. That's how Tris became Shailene, Uriah called himself Keiynan, Marlene chose Suki and Lynn became Rosa. The others questioned her at first, but she then explained that her mother's middle name was Rosa. They nodded understanding that she missed her mom.

Tris was their lead singer, since she wrote most lyrics to their songs. Matt and Uriah often composed the songs together and even the three girls helped. They had a variety of songs in different genres that seemed to be liked by the general public. At first it seemed silly of them to dress up, but as they had a gig one night in late March Marlene spotted her brother and the rest of his friends, who were basically the siblings of her band mates, in the crowd. They were all worried that the older siblings might recognize them, but Matt was right. Under the flashy make-up and the colorful wigs and the sassy outfits no one recognized them. Divergent rocked the house for full two hours, the audience asking for encores over and over again. Lynn mentioned that even their tight up older siblings seemed to have enjoyed the show, whilst being oblivious that the band was actually their annoying younger family members.

"This band rocks," Shauna said as she sat on Zeke's shoulders.

"I love their sound," Christina chimed in, right beside her, but on Will's shoulders. Caleb and Tobias were there with two girls who they both started dating about the same time, but both knew that they wouldn't go out with them again. They complained the whole time and just didn't fit into their group.

"Dude, I'm so gonna rub this into Uriah's face next time I see him. I told him I would go to a rock concert and he wanted to come with me," Zeke started saying, but Tobias interrupted him.

"Why do you have to rub it in his face?" he asked.

"Because he things he is so cool and I'm lame because I'm older," Zeke answered.

"Same goes for Lynn," Will told them.

"And Tris," Caleb agreed.

"I guess Mar's okay with me being older," Tobias said about his sister. He knew that she thought he was a little lame, but they loved each other and always supported one another. After that they just enjoyed the concert and jumped up and down to the beat.

After they were done the four younger friends quickly gathered their stuff and hopped into the van. Matt drove them home to make sure they wouldn't get into too much trouble. If anyone would have said anything Matt would have taken the blame, saying they went bowling. It was a good thing the van was big because the four could easily change out of their clothes and remove wigs and make-up. This occurrence repeated itself several times during spring and Cameron surprised them with an important announcement. During their summer break, when they usually went to Band Camp, Cameron organized a few gigs in New York. Since they needed their parents' permission Cameron slipped a permission note in the files for camp that they had to sign anyway. When everything was signed the four of them were more than happy, some would say ecstatic, about the prospect of performing in the hottest clubs in the Big Apple.