Chapter 18: Loaded question

This one goes to @chaahat28 for not only her insightful and nice comments but helping me realize some tonal aspects of my writing that even I myself had overlooked (Though I'm not sure you even realized this... meh lool). So thank you for helping me see my work in a slightly different light. Stay awesome XD 

The gunner jeeps and carrier ships invaded the air space with their loud engines hum. There tiers and jet engines treads and on the green grass around them leaving it defiled and torn apart. With only a minuet before they come within ear shot, Sophie turns to both Andrew and Natalie with studying eyes. 

Seeing the tense expression on her the both of them narrow their eyes on to her with equal ponder. It was a stark reminder of who they have allowed to follow them, how little they knew of them. How no matter how they look at it or how friendly they seemed they were still strangers.

"Are you sure that you have not done anything to anger them?" Natalie asked her carefully.

Sophie's eyes just narrowed into slits as she looked them over. As if she was looking for a story that was written on their faces.

"I was about to ask you the same question," Sophie said almost to herself.

Unsure where she was going with that both Andrew and Natalie looked at another.

"Well then, do me a solid and leave the talking to me." She finely picked up making the two of them look back at her.

"Why you?" Andrew asked, almost challenging her.

"Because keeping your switching eye color and anything that comes packaged with it to yourselves may keep them from asking further questions." She replied.

Natalie realising that she had been careless stepped back semi-defensively. Sophie however just looked back at her with a semi-understanding grin.

"You should leave this to Sophie." Flynn interrupted. "She's insightful and excels at reading faces. She's our best chance at getting over this."

Andrew gritted his teeth to this. Giving being by his mother's side he had to time to be trifling with the dragons. To top it off he had no real idea what they might want with them or their agenda.

Natalie seeing the pent up frustration on his face understood the rut he mulled in.

"What's it going to be?" She whispered to him, implying that the ball was in his court.

Come what may she will comply, for the sake of getting him back with his mother. Andrew mapped this out in his head weighing the risk of cutting his losses with Sophie and Flynn. But in the end he came to a decision. The gunner jeeps now within ear shot began to surround the four of them. As if to make escape impossible.

They are hugging us in. How friendly. Andrew mind oozed with sarcasm.

His eyes narrowing into slits to the danger of the situation.

Escape now a fleeting dream.

Looking Flynn in the eye he gave a node like I'll-leave-this-to-you.

From a jeep just in front of them stepped out a man wearing deep green cameo combat gear, thick long lasted high boots and a helmet that teethed onto a head set. Standard wear of all Dragon scale units, however with the small golden pin of scales placed on his shoulder this marketed him as the officer of this unit.

'Dragon scales' meaning the armed units of the Golden dragons, like the scales of the dragon they make up most of the dragons body and protect it from instant harm. Like scales they are almost useless alone rather finding their strength in numbers. They are not worth individualising and can be replaced if a chink where to blemish or fall right off. Much like the Scales each position of the dragon organization is ladled to different parts of one it's body.