Walls and Betrayal Part 2.(not copy edited yet).

Beyond the walls the southerners had thrown a loose cordon around the palace and set a garrison at each gate, as they readied themselves for a siege. A safe distance from the walls had already been circumscribed. The garrison only too happy to demonstrate if someone wondered to close.

             Lord Jonts was already aching from head to toe when he received yet another summons from Lord Gants. Night had fallen and together the Lords had checked the lines, seeing that all was in order. Lord Gants led them into the long corridors of the palace, which were almost deserted. Most of the court and the King's family had left when the news had come of a possible siege. Many had homes and small fortified manor houses north of Farnbreth and so they had thought it safer to head out to them than endure a siege. Those who had stayed, kept to the upper floors as Lord Jonts had arranged for the ground floor to be fortified. Windows blocked, doors barricaded. It was no fort but the walls were thick and it was a vast building, any enemy would certainly have to fight for it, if the defenders had time to rally there. As such, the ground floor was empty and the great corridors ran on into the darkness. Lord Gants again ran over the defences and provisions. Lord Jonts listened, simply wanting to go. Lord Gants had a large cup of wine he had been supping from since Lord Jonts had joined him on the inspection and now as they strolled along the corridors he offered  another cup from a side table and filled it from a jug of water that was with it. Many had been placed around the palace and fortress as water was in plentiful supply, Lord Jonts thanked him and took a deep drink from the cup.

Lord Gants replied, "It was his pleasure" as he sunk his knife up through the bottom of lord Jonts chin.  Lord Jont's body crumpled and Lord Gants called the alarm "assassin", he screamed, as he sprinted to rally the guards, ordering a search of the building. The search revealed a bolthole door open, but no one had been seen. The door was concealed in the curtain wall, there to send out spies under the cover of night. It was accepted that the lesser Kings had assassinated Lord Jonts. Such things were not unheard of. Lord Gants doubled the guard, having explained that he had left Lord Jonts for just a moment, and that the blade should have been for him. No one suspected him nor should they have, not even the High Priest.

When Lord Gants finally went to his bed, he marvelled at how easy it had been. He slept uneasily, but only in anticipation and excitement for the next day.

................................................................................................................................................................................... 

The lesser Kings had arrived at the walls, the evening before last and the sanctuary had closed it's gate that afternoon. William and the others had been honoured with a place inside the sanctuary, but the opportunity was proving to be a little tedious. They were only allowed on to the battlements having gained permission from the captain, and that had only been given once since they entered. They spent their time outside an old storeroom with a battered  canopy, which now served, as William liked to call it,  his hall. The others were happy to see it that way and Farmer made sure that anyone outside their band treated it as Williams, making people wait outside until William invited them in. The captain of the guard found it very frustrating but let them play their game as long as the High Priest allowed it.

The High Priest spent much of his time in the temple or with William, he felt more comfortable with people rather than soldiers. As time went on and the inevitable battle approached the High Priest felt helpless. His only military decision was to order Nannajess to train William and his band with the weapons they had acquired. He took the decision after Balor had almost taken his head off with the great sword. Having cursed Balors foolishness, he had calmed down, lifted the curse and turned to Nannajess to prevent an accident, much to Balor's relief! They had all taken to the training, and although it had only been a day, the military training mixed with the skills learnt on the street by some of them, had caught even the captains eye. It was he, who seeing that even Farmer was too tired to bother with his vigil at the door of the old storage house, set a rota leaving four training as the others rested.