Chapter 14

Josh's P.O.V.

I woke up to my phone ringing.

"UGH fuck off!" I mumbled into my pillow. I let it ring. 1 minute later, it rang again. I furiously pulled the sheets off of me and picked it up without even looking at the caller ID.

"What?" I spat.

"Dude, where the fuck are you? Aren't you supposed to be at the hospital?" Ian's voice screamed through the speaker. I looked at the clock. It was already 1:00 pm.

"Shit. I didn't realize it was so late. Wait, Emily. Is she ok?" I panicked. 

"She's fi- well, she's the same..."

I sighed. "I'll be there soon." I hung up and got ready to go. I put on my pink shoes with my black ripped skinny jeans and a green t-shirt with a long sleeved jean jacket. The fresh cuts stung as the fabric touched my skin. I got in my car. My mind was a blur. I pulled out of my driveway almost a little too far. I was about an inch away from hitting the car in the driveway across the street from mine. I stopped and shook my head. I needed to get my shit together. I stepped on the gas and eventually made it to the hospital. Mike and Ian were waiting outside for me.

"We were worried about you! What happened?" Mike said, walking towards me.

"I overslept." I replied flatly. I didn't realize that I had rolled up my stupid sleeves in the car. I think Mike noticed when he pulled away from a hug because he looked down then back up at me. He's the kind of guy that really cares if people are feeling like shit. He'll do anything to make you feel better. I quickly rolled down my sleeves and walked inside. 

"Where's Matt?" I asked.

"He's with Monica. They were here this morning but they left around noon to catch a movie. Also Megan and Kim took Tristan out to Toys R Us or something." Ian said as we were walking down the hall. I nodded and we got to Emily's room. I wasn't expecting her to look any different, and she didn't, but it hit me when I walked in. I guess I was hoping that this would all be just a dream. That I would wake up and she would be in my arms again. 

"Hold on, Kim's calling me." Ian took out his phone and walked away from me and Mike.

"Are you ok man?" Mike had a worried look on his face.

"I'm fine." I replied, not looking at him. We were standing in the hallway waiting for Ian.

He paused for a second. "I saw your wrist..."

I was staring at the ground, silent.

"Don't do that to yourself dude. It won't solve anything..." he paused again. "I'm always here if you need to talk to anyone ok?"

I looked at him. "Thanks man." I gave him a hug.

"Mike! Megan and Kim are done. Apparently Megan wanted to buy Tristan a teddy bear but he said that he didn't want to get it. He was worried that he would miss his other teddy bear friends at the store. No wonder he's your son. He's exactly like you." Ian laughed, walking towards us as he put his phone away. "We have to go pick them up."

"Ok. Josh, are you ok here alone?" Mike turned to me.

"Yeah. I'll see guys later." I forced a smile as they nodded and then walked away.

I stood there for a moment, then went into Emily's room. I went to her bedside, pulled up a chair again and sat down beside her. I felt like last night didn't even happen because I was sitting here once again. I still couldn't believe this. It was all my fault. I took off my jacket and looked down at the new cuts with a disgusted look on my face. I threw my jacket on the ground.