Chapter 14: I Just Can't

(Michael's POV)

Darkness.

That was the only thing I saw.
However, it quickly changed into a scene I'd seen before, but only in a dream-esque state, as I think I'm probably in right now.
That scene was the IMC interrogation room, with the one-way mirror, the table and chairs. And Sarah was there.

I immediately went over to her, a bit shaky, and hugged her. "Sarah! A-are you-"
I was cut off as she pinned me to the wall, growling. "Hands off, Coriolan. There's only one reason I came here, and it wasn't to be all lovey-dovey."
I grit my teeth. There was no doubt in my mind that the IMC was controlling her. "Then what is that reason, Sarah?"

She growled. "That's Captain Calian to you. And what do I want? Well, let's just say that your dear sister told me that I should enlighten you about why the IMC, and not the damned Militia is my true home."

I wasn't sure if I should believe her. I'd known her so long... Why would the IMC be her true home? No matter what the reason is, I had to listen to her. Maybe I could develop a plan to save her based on what she said. "Alright. I'm listening."
She slightly grinned. "Good. Now, I don't have much time, as you're soon going to be waking up, so you get a quick rundown. All you need to know is this, Coriolan. The reason I say all of this... My parents, both of them, were part of the IMC, and worked closely with Graves and MacAllan. And... The Militia did horrible things when I was young, which included killing my parents, burning my town, and most importantly, kidnapping me, and raising me in this damned organization."

Before I could respond, everything went black.

===

When I woke up, I was in the infirmary, and Bish was by my side. "Uggh... Bish... How... How long was I out?"

"Thank the Frontier, it was only a few hours. As soon as we saw what was going on, we immediately ended the match.
I closed my eyes as a tear rolled down my cheek. "Were you able to get her back...?"
Bish hesitated before answering me, which usually wasn't a good thing. "I'm sorry Michael... We sent troops out as soon as we were able to, but the IMC would neither confirm or deny that she was there. We are continuing our efforts to locate her as we speak."

I was about to lean back so I could rest a bit more, still worn out, when I remembered the conversation that I had with Sarah while I was out cold.
It was evident that I was somehow reflecting that on my face, as Bish looked at me, concerned. "You alright Coriolan? Looks like you have something on your mind you want to talk about."
I leaned my head back against the wall, and took a long, deep sigh. "You're right about that, Bish, but can we talk about it in your office? It's a bit of a sensitive topic."
He nodded, and stood up. "Yeah of course we can. Now let's go."

===

I looked at Bish. "When I was knocked out, Sarah visited me."
Bish nodded. "Sarah and I were actually predicting that would happen, even though we don't know what she would want to talk about. That being said, what did she tell you?"

A single tear rolled down my cheek, and I didn't bother wiping it away. I had a gut feeling it would soon be joined by some friends. "Bish... Sarah told me that she was never originally part of the Militia... Is... Is that true?"
"... Yes," Bish said with a slight hesitation. "I... What she said is the truth."
I looked down as more tears started to roll down my face. "Can... Can you tell me exactly what happened... A-and why you did it?"