Chapter 19: The Consequences of Demeter

(Third Person POV)

(A/N: Heyo! I'm so sorry that I haven't updated in a while! And that's for two reasons:
1. I haven't really had much inspiration recently
2. I've been busy playing Fire Emblem: Fates(Birthright), and minor spoilers, the last few chapters remind me of the beginning of the game)

Bish and Michael unloaded into the Warhog, and Michael went off to question Lauren and Graves, while Bish went off to the IMC's medical ward, which was where Sarah was.

When he walked into her room, Sarah was awake and was taking some medications, which he assumed the doctors that had just walked out of the room had given her. Once she was done taking the pills, she saw Bish, and a faint smile appeared on her face. "They told me that you and Michael would be coming. ... Speaking of.which, where is Michael?" she asked, looking around, obviously a bit confused.
Bish sighed and sat on the bed next to her. "He has questions he needs to ash his sister and Graves, so he went to do that. He should be over once he's done with that. Anyways, do you know why what happened, well, happened?"
She slightly shrugged. "I mean, I guess I do... I knew that going down onto Demeter was dangerous, and if I had to guess, I caught some type of radiation infection or whatever, even though I should've been immune."

As soon as Sarah had mentioned catching and infection, Bish suddenly got an idea. "Hold on a minute... Hm. Sarah, would you mind removing your hospital gown for me?"
Sarah was clearly blushing. "Wh-why? What do y-you want?"
He sighed and placed a hand on her shoulder. "Sarah, you know me. I'd never do anything to harm you, and I'd never, and I mean never, do anything sexual with you. I'm not that type of guy, and I know you know that. I just want to look at something. That's it."
Sarah hesitated, but nodded, as she knew what Bish said was true, and she then slipped her hospital gown off, leaving her in her undergarments, in a closed-off room, alone with Bish.
Bish sighed, and gently stroked her robotic arm. "Can you please lay on your stomach for me?"
Sarah nodded, and did as she was told.

Bish then started to run his hands along her back, knowing exactly what he was looking for. He continued to do so for a while, until her found a spot to the left of her spine that felt like an unnatural hard spot. He then rubbed it, and she immediately flinched, as if he had done something to hurt her.
"Ouch! What what that for?!"
Bish shook his head, sighing. "Well, I think I know what your problem is..."
"Oh? And what's that?" she asked, her voice sounding muffled due to the pillow.
"Well, it isn't any type of cancer. That much is obvious. But it isn't good either. If my calculations and whatnot are correct, I'd have to say that a piece of metal became embedded in your skin when the reactor core exploded in Demeter, and judging by what I felt, I think it's maybe no bigger than an AA battery, and since its been in there for some time now, I have reason to believe that it was probably a rusted piece, and it is now poisoning your blood.

Sarah immediately flipped over and sat up. "Wh-what?! Why haven't I been told this before?"
Bish sighed and put a hand on her shoulder. "Sarah, the possibility of that actually happening was very low, and combine that with the possibility of you coming back after that mission being very close to zero, which you somehow defied, we never took it into consideration."
Sarah sat there for a moment, in silence, obviously letting everything sink in. About a minute passed before she.did anything, and she sighed. "Is... Is there a way that we can get this piece of metal o-out of m-me?" she asked, obviously becoming more nervous and scared as she spoke.
Bish nods. "Yeah. Of course it would have to be done surgically, and after that, I'm not sure how long it would take for you to fully recover.
Sarah then surprised Bish by hugging him, and she was already starting to cry. "P-please... J-just do whatever it takes... I-I don't want Michael to have to go through losing me again..."
Bish gently stroked her hair. "Shh... I'll make sure nothing happens to you. There's nothing to worry about... It'll all be over soon, you hear me?"
Sarah nodded and broke down into tears, crying on Bish's shoulder, while he was trying to comfort her.