Chapter 12: Another War Games

I looked at Sarah in shock. "... No. Lauren couldn't have done this..."

Sarah grabbed my shoulder. "Michael, that doesn't matter. We... We need to get to the bottom of how they know that I'm alive, and what they are planning to do with me..."

I sighed. "You're right, Sarah. That should be our main-"

I was cut off as I heard Bish over the intercom. "Attention all Pilots. Please report to the Virtual Simulation Room for our monthly War Games against the IMC."

I quickly looked at Sarah. "Can you tell Meg to stay with her brother?"

She nods. "On it." "... Alright. We're good."

I nodded, and we went to the Virtual Simulation Room.

===

Sarah and I went over to our respective Virtual Pods, which were activated by a retinal scan, and hopped in. Sarah and Bish were standing in the middle of room.

Bish spoke up. "Alright Pilots! Listen up! This month we decided to shake things up. The Game Mode isn't Attrition or Hardpoint Domination, rather, we are doing a Marked for Death, and the IMC actually decided, and we agreed."

I then heard murmurs arise throughout the room. Why did the IMC chose the Game Mode Marked for Death? Something had to be off. I made a mental note to keep my eyes and ears open for anything on plans that they might have.

Our pods then closed, sending us into the simulation.

===

When we appeared in the sim, Sarah was standing next to me. I looked over at her. "Do you know how Marked for Death match works?"

She shook her head. "Nope. Never done one."

I sighed. "Alright. Basically, one person on each side is going to be marked for death, thus giving the Game Mode its name. And the goal is to eliminate the target. Got it?"

She nods. "Yeah. Sounds cool."

A little box appeared on my H.U.D., and it said I was Marked for Death. I looked at Sarah. "We should split. I'll try to survive, and you go trying to look for our target, uh, Jack McLean."

She nodded. "Right. Just stay safe. I'll kill McLean in no time."

I nodded, and we went our separate directions.

===

(Sarah's POV.

A/N: I gotta do this for an event I have planned.)

I was running through the map, looking for this McLean character. Something then caught my eye, and by the looks of it, it was IMC Pilot armor. I quickly tried to listen in.

I need to find Sarah... She needs to be on our side in order for us to overthrow the Militia... And even more importantly, she was already on her side... Shit happened, and the Damned Militia took her from us.

I was shocked. I knew who it was. It was Lauren. I quickly activated my Cloak, which was increased, due to my Active Camo Burn Card, and snuck up on Lauren.

I followed her into a corner as my cloak wore off. Lauren jumped when she saw me. "Coriolan! What are you doing here?"

I growled, forcing her to the wall. "That's Pilot Coriolan to you. And need to ask the same. What are you doing here?"

With a sly grin, she quickly had me pinned on the ground, grinning. "To get you, Captain Coriolan."

I then felt her place her Smart Pistol to my skull, and something ripped. I knew what it was immediately, as a warning on my H.U.D. appeared, saying my Respawn Pack was missing or dmaged. I growled. "What the hell are you doing?!"

She grinned. "Sarah. You must follow my orders. Once I shoot you, your pod will open, as I had pulled out your Respawn Pack. Once that happens, you are to come to the IMS Warhog immediately."

I modded. "I-I understand."

Everything then went black as I heard three quick gunshots.