Chapter 4

It was dark now as we stepped into Isaac's house. I closed the door quietly behind us and as soon as my hand was off the doorknob, it was clinging to Derek's hand. I was a wuss. I was afraid of some of the most trivial things. Storms, insects and the dark. But as Spencer Reid would say, it's because of the inherent absence of light. Derek didn't look at me, but squeezed my hand reassuringly, somehow knowing of my fear.

"If Isaac didn't kill his father, who did?" Scott asked, holding the flashlight as we walked through the house.

"I don't know yet." Derek replied.

"Then how do you know he's telling the truth?"

"Isaac wouldn't kill his father." I told him. Scott looked over to Derek.

"Because I trust my senses." Derek said and continued after a moment of silence. "And it's a combination of them. Not just your sense of smell." We all stopped as Derek looked at Scott pointedly.

"You saw the lacrosse thing today." Scott stated, avoiding Derek's judging gaze.

"Yeah."

"Did it look that bad?" Scott asked and I nodded.

"Yeah." I said, repeated Derek's earlier statement. Derek kept his hand in my own as he led us to the door leading to the basement.

"You wanna learn?" He asked Scott. "Start now."

Scott began walking the steps. "What's down there?" He asked.

"Motive." Derek replied simply and I looked at him confused.

"And what am I looking for?" Scott said once he reached the bottom, whilst I stayed on the upped level with Derek.

"Follow your senses." Derek said, not answering the question and Scott began exploring the basement.

"What happened down here?" Scott questioned.

"The kind of thing that leaves an impression." Derek replied elusively. He pulled me down the stairs quietly once Scott reached a freezer. He turned the flashlight on suddenly. "Open it." He commanded Scott who took the lock off an began lifting the lid. I gasped when my eyes caught sight of the scratch marks on the inside. I backed up until my back hit Derek's chest. He wrapped an arm around my waist.

"Oh God. Poor Isaac." I whispered.

"This is why he said yes to you." Scott realised.

"Everyone wants power." Derek replied and I pulled myself out of his arms, turning myself around to face him.

"Derek, if we help you, then you have to stop." I demanded forcefully.

"You can't just go around turning people-" I interrupted Scott.

"Teenagers." I added and Scott nodded.

"Teenagers into werewolves." He finished.

"I can if they're willing." Derek replied and I shook my head incredulously.

"No. You really can't. Do you know why the legal age for drinking in America is 21? It's because before that our brains aren't fully developed. It means we don't have the proper mental capacity to make all the correct decisions for ourselves. Did you even tell him about Argent? About hunters?" I spat. Derek rolled his eyes.

"Just like your mother." He mumbled and I glared at him. "Yes, and he still asked." He answered my question.

"Then he's an idiot." Scott replied.

"And you're the idiots being best friends with and dating Argent's daughter." Scott's head snapped over to Derek. "Yeah. I know your little secret. And if I know, how long do you think it's gonna take for them to find out? You saw what happens to an omega." Scott was looking away. "With me, you learn how to use all of your senses. With me, you learn control." Derek held Scott's hand up as his claws began to extend from his fingertips. "Even on a full moon." Scott ripped his hand away from Derek's.