Chapter 37 Duke Myron Palander

Chapter 37

Duke Myron Palander

Planet: Ivos

I woke to see Kari’s arm draped over my naked blue chest and her head nestled into my neck, the bed covers were disorderly swathed over us, but we had both slept well considering today was the trial of Kari’s father and my trusted Tyvorian advisor Larriss.

“Come on you two, Kari’s father needs us.” Orders Honas as he barged into the room and pulled the curtains open

It had only taken a short time to persuade Honas of my innocents last night. He had been sympathetic of my loyalty towards my father’s orders, saying it had been honourable to uphold his requests but foolhardy to carry out such an uninformed assault on the Navatha lake. His hatred towards the Queen and her follows had made it easier for him to forgive me, and the fact that she had imprisoned his good friend Deko for no real apparent reason.

Honas lead us along the rooftop with surprising dexterity and speed, his light footedness hadn’t alerted the unsuspecting residents in their houses below us. Kari and I cautiously made our way passed the many chimlies and spires which adored the slated tops of many of the buildings in Kahrron City.

Honas paused in front of us at the next structure and as we caught up to him we looked down at the large gap between us and the next edifice.

“That’s it, the justice building.” Announced Honas as he studied the chasm before us

“And how are we supposed to get across?” I asked looking around for viable options

“Patience.” Muttered Honas as he watched two guards appear from around the side of the building

“It looks well-guarded.” Observed Kari cowering behind me

“They are probably expecting you both.” Ponders Honas “I’ll go and create a diversion, do you see the rivets in the side of the justice building?”

“No” I state as I survey the outer shell of the structure

“Yes” responds Kari seeing something that I must have missed

“Good, you will have to climb up them to get to the roof, from there you should be able to see the proceeding through one of the rooftop windows.” Announced Honas “But be careful and keep an eye out for guards.”

“How do you know this?” I asked wondering how he knew so much information about the justice building

“I scouted it out last night, while you two slept.” Replies Honas “If all goes well I’ll meet you back at my shop after the trial has ended.”

Honas smiled as quietly slithered his red figure from the rooftop and down the side of the house with a deafly silence.

“Is he just a shop keeper?” I curiously ask Kari

“He is now, but he’s lead a mixed and varied life, my father says he has many skills, even a few that he has not discovered yet.” Replied Kari

Honas reappeared and started talking and distracting the two patrolling guards who stopped and engaged in conversation with the shop trader. Kari and I saw our chance to reach the justice building roof and scampered down the narrow guttering that trailed over the house, we were much noisier than Honas was before us, but his booming voice while talking to the guards, drowned out our ruckus.

Kari quickly grabbed the first rung of the rivets in the wall and began to ascend the justice building, I glance once more at Honas now laughing and joking with the guards, to realise they were heavily distracted and made my way up after Kari.

When we reached the top of the justice building, the space was eerily quiet, as mentioned by Honas, glass windows sat at various points on a long pyramid shaped roof. Kari and I cautiously made our way over to one of them and looked down to see the court room beneath us.

A sole figure sat at the head of the court draped in red and gold robes, with a chalice of ale positioned next to him, from up here we could clearly see his balding red head, but were limited to see his facial features.

“I think that’s Count Durk Zinax, the Justicars father and the Queens Uncle.” Explained Kari as she also spotted what appeared to be the judge in the case

“Great, a judge, to support the Queen’s interest.” I surmise “That just what Deko and Larriss don’t need.”

The gallery started to file into the viewing area, with Honas discretely position in the middle of the unorganised line and eventually sitting two rows back from the more obvious front seats.

The Judge drank down some ale from his cup and then barked out the orders.

“Bring in the prisoners.” He cried

A scuffling of feet commenced out of our line of sight, and then after a short period of anticipation, the bound accused came back into the sight of our roof top window. Deko was looking slimmer, than I had last seen him, and looking at Larriss and her emaciated form, I could tell that they had been badly treated in the Tower of Chains.

“In the case of treason by association, how do the defendants plead?” shouted out Count Durk as he again comforted his chalice after he finished his words.

“Not guilty.” Retorted Deko and Larriss in unison