19: The Confession

Meg walked almost for the full ten minutes without being interrupted by a person, Gideon, or an attack. That's a personal record for her.

Then, she ran into Kendra. The Hawk goddess seemed like she wanted to go on a walk herself, but was more glad to run into Margaret.

"You look like you could use someone to talk to." Kendra said to Meg before she could utter a 'hi'. The red head's hands were shoved deep inside her pockets as she sucked in a breath.

"How can you tell?" Meg asked, blowing a lock of hair from her face. Kendra smiled, and shrugged her shoulders.

"If you've had as many lifetimes as me, then you'd know when someone needs someone to talk to. Plus, you looked a little upset when you left, and I promised Ray that I'd cheer you up. He was worried about you." She explained.

"Okay." Meg bit her lip. She didn't feel like she could be cheered up at the moment. She felt sad and exhausted- and honestly wished she could go home and sleep in her own bed.

"So why are you upset?"

"Oh.. uh.. I'm not exactly sure what to do with myself." Margaret admitted, looking down at her feet.

"What do you mean?" Kendra asked.

"Well... my narcolepsy has the effect of blackouts. Usually the memory of a blackout would eventually come to a person's memory over time... but mine do not. Rip has the tech to fix all that, but I'm not sure if I want to have those memories."

"Why not?"

Meg paused for a moment as the two rounded the corner. She felt like a monster for not knowing where she went, or if she caused anyone any damage or harm... especially if she had gotten hurt in return. The scars on her back felt more foreign to her than anything else she's endured.

"A while ago... probably about a year or so... I started waking up from my blackouts injured. First it started with bruises or cuts. Then it progressed to broken bones, slashes across my back, even bullet wounds. I don't know where they came from, or even what they mean." She explained, tugging at the hem of her shirt.

"So you don't want to know how you got hurt?"

"No... I don't want to know the life I lead during those blackouts. What if I hurt people?"

"Meg, I've been asking myself the same question every time I start to remember my past lives. But it doesn't change who I am now. You're afraid you might have done something you regret, or will see something you never wanted to... But you will still be you when it's over. I'm still this version of me after I found out who I was... Just the plus of some badass Hawk powers." Kendra said.

Meg looked up, giving the Hawk Goddess a meek smile before letting out a long sigh.

"You have a point... you and Ray both do. But with these powers I need to learn to control, and new memories on top of it? I can barely control my narcolepsy as it is... imagine it then." Meg explained, anxiously running a hand through her hair.

"I can offer some help there." Kendra offered, "And I'm sure Sara could too if you asked."

"That actually be a really big help... but I don't think I'm in any condition to train at the moment." Meg bit down on her lip, still feeling tender and sore in her stomach and rib area.

The pair walked back to the room where they were fixing the panels, noticing that Ray had disappeared. Meg wondered if he went on a walk as well. The past few days had been quite a toll mentally and physically for everybody.

Meg turned on her microphone.

"What do we need to do now?" She asked, noticing that the panels were neatly put back and buzzing with life. The trio had been able to put back that part of the ship in no time.