Chapter 9

They’re strangely subdued on the drive back to LA.

Dark clouds are forming distantly over the ocean, a thunderstorm brewing. The air’s so hot and close that Nadine almost welcomes the prospect of a

downpour to wash away the humidity, if only temporarily.

She clicks on the radio – something to fill the silence that stretches between her and Cheryl. Not that she’s being deliberately closed-off; Nadine’s mind is teeming with a million conversation starters but none of them quite make it off the tip of her tongue.

There’s lots of things she could say, but none of them what she really wants to.

By the time they reach a gas station near Oxnard, they haven’t exchanged more than two words for oven an hour.  They stop to fill the tank and stretch their legs, Nadine popping inside to pay and pick up a couple of bottled waters.

When Nadine gets back behind the wheel Cheryl’s looks at her critically, arms folded across her chest. “Are you alright, babe?”

“I’m fine,” Nadine says, as they pull out back on to the freeway.

Cheryl’s undeterred. “Is it about earlier? I said I was sorry.”

Sparing her passenger a quick glance before returning her attention to the road, Nadine blinks in surprise. “What? No, don’t be daft.” She shakes her head. “I didn’t sleep that well. I’m just tired, hun.”

The brunette gives her a long, sceptical look. “It’s not just today. You’ve been actin’ funny ever since I got here.”

“I haven’t.”

“You have. And don’t tell us I’m imaginin’ it.”

Nadine tightens her grip on the steering wheel, nails scoring into the leather grip. “Honestly, Cheryl, there’s nothing’ wrong.”

“Is it me then? Have I overstayed me welcome?”

“No!”

They’re both a bit stunned by Nadine’s vehement reply, just short of a full-blown shout. They endure a few minutes of thick silence, dwarfed as it is by the wind and the noise of the engine before Nadine hears the tell-tale sound of a sniffle.

“Maybe I shouldn’t have come.”

“Cheryl,” Nadine sighs, incapable of articulating her frustration with this whole situation. She spots a sign for a scenic rest stop up ahead and she switches lane in preparation for pulling in.

When the car eventually slows to a stop, Nadine unclips her seatbelt and turns to face the brunette fully. “I don’t want you to go. That’s the bloody problem!” she exclaims, and realises a moment too late that she’s said too much.

Cheryl frowns. “You’ve lost us, babe.”

Well, in for a penny, if for a pound... “In another week you’ll be back in London and I probably won’t see you for months.”

There’s an uncomprehending look on Cheryl’s face and Nadine resists the urge to roll her eyes. Sometimes Cheryl’s not the sharpest tool in the box. Nadine opens her mouth to say more, to finally give voice to this thing that’s been sitting heavy in her chest when, with impeccable timing, Cheryl’s phone rings.

Rummaging through her bag, Cheryl locates her phone and glances at the screen. “It’s Simon.” She gives Nadine an apologetic look. “I should probably get this.”

As Cheryl brings the phone to her ear, Nadine starts up the engine and it takes every last ounce of self-restraint not to thump the wheel.

***