Chapter 2

The next few hours were a blur. Medical tents were set up for the wounded and for the oncoming battle. Troops were outfitted and the cities defences were tested. The ancient Dwarven technology hasn't failed after hundreds of years of inactivity. Even with the amount of soldiers that were killed and wounded in the fighting, enough troops were raised for the defence. Most of the fighting will be closer to the city or just outside the walls. If we can hold them off long enough for us to advance towards the Ice Castle, then this war is won. All we need is a plan for after the battle.

Myriani has to pull herself together. We haven't spoken after the battle. It seems that whoever she killed, haunts her already. Every time I close my eyes, I see the face of every man, woman, and beast I've killed over the years and they'll haunt me until I die. Now that the deed is done, nothing will bring those people back, not even the Goddess. Her powers are weakening, but I'm getting closer to harnessing her full powers. I can't let the Goddess die yet. She still has a world to protect and look over. As her heir, I will see that the world is cleansed of Chaos.

It's rare for me to not drawn my blade. Today was one of the few days that I never used it. I unsheathe the golden blade and study it. Countless fights over the years had left the blade worn, but it's still the sword of heroes and it hasn't failed me yet. It's been known to serve the Chosen One throughout history. It was destined to be found by me. I sigh and sheathe the blade. The last time I draw that blade could be my last. I can't let Chaos win no matter what!

"Rias." Myrani shuffles next to me resting her head on my shoulder. I didn't even hear her walk over to me. I was so caught up in my own thoughts that I hadn't noticed her, "I'm sorry."

"You didn't do anything." I bring her closer, "This wasn't your fault and there was no easy way to stop this. My father did this and he'll pay...he'll pay with his life."

"Can we get away from here for a while?" She looks up at me with her green eyes. Her white hair a mess and covering most of her face, "I just want to be alone with you before the battle."

"Don't you have to rally the troops?" I ask her.

"Svewn has already done that." She looks towards the setting sun, "There's a cliff up there that'd be perfect for some alone time. I just need to collect myself before giving a speech tomorrow to the troops."

"You couldn't stop what had happened." I tell her, "None of this is your fault." She closes her eyes and takes a deep breath, "Come on, let's go talk."

***

The setting sun casts its shadow over the city. Despite the center of the city nearly destroyed and many people injured, the city is still abuzz. The northern end of the city is the busiest as the soldiers prepare the defenses for the oncoming battle that will decide the world's fate. There's a sense of serenity blowing in the breeze. Myriani's snow white hair billows behind her as she looks ahead at the setting sun. The horizon is a deep orange and pink. In this lighting, she looks even more breathtaking.

"Before an important battle, the Elves always foresaw the outcome of it by the color of the sky." She peers into the darkening sky, "This day, it's uncertain. Anything could happen in this war."

"Whatever the outcome will be, at least we'll go down fighting for the good of the people and the world." I hug her from behind. She takes my hand and caresses it with her face, "We'll always be together no matter what. We've been through so much in such little time...I feel like we're meant to be together."

"You'll always be mine and no one will take you away." She smiles as our lips meet. She turns back towards the city, "I have to say something that'll bless the people of this city. They need me to say something. I'm their Queen. May these words carry on to everyone in this city. From the Ruins of the old, we rise anew. Chaos swings its mighty blade as it cuts us down. We rise through the flooded plains of Blood as our Hope shines through the darkest of times. For if we band together as one, we'll drive this darkness away with light; a light that will never go away. Look to the North. Your enemy is there. Now look at yourselves. The demons within must be defeated first. Cast away those dark feelings of hatred, anger, agony, sadness, and selfishness and point your blade, not at each other, but at the darkness that makes you feel this way. WE are one, WE are the weapon!"