Late Night

{Blake}

After about half an hour of staying in the coffee shop, and after I made sure she was completely warm, we stepped outside again so I could walk her home. I knew her parents weren't home yet, so she could sneak in without them knowing she skipped school. That was partly my fault, for taking her off campus, but she could have resisted if she wanted to.

We chatted easily and comfortably for ten minutes or so. We still had seven blocks to go until we reached her apartment.

"Do you think -" she started, but she stopped herself suddenly when she flinched back.

I stopped walking and stared at her. "What was that?" I asked, worried.

Annabelle reached up with her sleeve and wiped away a water droplet that had landed on her nose. "Crap, don't tell me it's raining," she whined, and I agreed.

Please don't let it rain right now. Please... I thought to myself. But of course it seemed to have the opposite affect because not two minutes later it started pouring cats and dogs. Annabelle gripped my hand tightly and started running, pulling her hood up in the process.

There was no use trying to escape the inevitable. With seven blocks to go there was no way in hell we weren't getting drenched to the bone. I slowed my jogging pace and tugged on her hand from behind. She whipped around to see why I had stopped running, a confused look on her face.

I shrugged, a grin playing at my lips. "Come on, we're going to get wet anyway. Why not have fun?"

She thought about that for a second before smiling back at me. "Okay," she nodded.

We walked slowly through the pouring rain all the way down three blocks. I thought of something just as we crossed the street, and I guided her to the right instead of forward.

"Dude, my house is that way," she giggled. "Don't tell me you don't know where I live."

"No, I know where you live," I told her, smiling and rolling my eyes.

"Then where are we going?" she asked me, dragging behind while I towed her down the sidewalk.

"My place," I told her. Her mouth formed a little 'o' and I rolled my eyes once more.

"Why are we going to your house?" she asked. She was so full of questions – all the time.

"Because I want you to stay with me today," I told her simply.

Annabelle grinned at me brightly, flashing her white teeth. "I can deal with that."

"Are you sure?" I asked her mockingly. "You don't want to go home?"

She threw her head back and laughed, soaking her face with glistening droplets of rainwater. "Yeah, sure Blake. I so want to go home. Let's go with that," she said sarcastically and then she was the one pulling me towards my apartment. Right before we went up the stairs in front of my building, she pulled me to her and gave me a quick kiss on the lips, the water on our faces mingling together before she released me and took off up the stairs.

I quickly hurried up the steps and into the elevator to take us to the fourth floor. As soon as we got to my door I quickly unlocked it and hurried into the bathroom to get a towel for Annabelle.

I ran back into the entryway and wrapped the towel around her shivering frame. "Thanks," she murmured, and I nodded. Once I made sure that she had a grip on the towel, I quickly peeled my jacket off of her – it was soaking with heavy rainwater and was probably making her colder.