Double Date... Kind Of

It was the two nights ago that Gabby called me and informed me of our little "double date." Today was a Friday, and Gabby called me again at about four to let me know that Jeremy and her would be going to an upscale restaurant tonight and they had made reservations for four people at seven o'clock. Guess who the two other people were?

So as you might be able to tell, I'm not very excited about this.

Blake seemed okay with it, however, as he was humming a random show tune while taking a shower at about five-thirty. He seemed over-the-top excited, actually, and I'll admit it kinda scared me. Usually I was the one who got excited about things. He just went along with whatever I wanted to do - take ice skating for example. By the way, my feet still ached from that.

I knew the particular restaurant we were going to, and it was upscale, but it wasn't a place that you couldn't go to if you were a teenager, like we were. So basically, it was fancy but not too fancy. I decided on wearing a shapeless red dress that wasn't too skintight or glamorous, and I paired it with a simple silver necklace and hoop earrings. I pulled my hair back so that a few pieces of caramel-colored fringe framed my face nicely, and did my makeup simply. All in all, not my absolute best look, but I thought I looked pretty nice. Better than what I normally wore.

By the time I was ready, it was about six-thirty, and Blake had finished his shower ages ago. I slipped on my black three-inch heels while I was still in my bedroom, then stepped out into the living room. What greeted me was a very pleasant sight.

Leaning cooly against the armrest of the beige couch was Blake, dressed in a light blue dress shirt and casual black slacks. He wasn't wearing a tie, and had left the top few buttons on his shirt undone. He was all ready to go, carrying his matching black jacket over his shoulder - the picture of perfection. In that way, he reminded me of someone from the old Hollywood movies, always a gentleman. Also, he appeared way older than seventeen. Might I say he looked mighty fine.

"Ready to go?" Blake asked, pushing himself up as soon as he saw me.

I forced myself to stop ogling at him, and managed to get out, "Yeah."

He gave me an Are you okay? look before shrugging, dismissing it, and grabbing my nice white coat from the coatrack and handing it to me - he knew which one I was going to wear.

"Thanks," I told him with a small smile as he gave it to me and opened the door for me.

His "your welcome" was apparently just a smug smile. He knew how I liked it when he was all gentleman-ly.

We made our way down to the lobby, and as we neared the concrete steps outside my apartment building, Blake swung a muscular arm out across my chest to stop me from going any further.

"What?" I asked incredulously.

"Are you going to slip and fall again?" he asked, looking pointedly at my feet. "I don't know about those shoes."

"You're really going to critique my choice in shoes right now?" I asked, doubting he actually cared about my shoes at all. My eyebrows drew together.

"It's the middle of winter and you're dressed for summer. Minus the coat," he reminded me.

"Hey, it's a nice restaurant. I'm sorry if I'm not wearing mittens," I joked, rolling my eyes. "I'll be fine, just let me go down the stairs."

He smiled good-naturedly and gestured broadly towards the stairs, as if saying, "Be my guest."

I tried my hardest not to slip. I really did. I was so close to the bottom, and I thought I'd made it, so I got a little too eager and a bit too confident. My heel slipped, and luckily Blake had gone down every careful step with me, so he was there to grab my waist and stop me from falling flat on my ass - which would've hurt.