Fourteen

"New York" I gasp looking at the shops and people go by, still not believing we have made it here. I turn around to Grayson, who's staring at me with a smile. Ethan is silent, his head on the window and his eyes scrolling quickly at all the skyscrapers that we pass by.

My father in the front seat next to the driver, is taking an insanely amount of pictures which will all end up blurry or ruined by his thumb on the camera. I roll my eyes and giggle. He immediately turns around and frowns.

"What's the matter?" He asks suspicious.
"You're taking so many pictures" I tell him with another giggle.
"Well I've been to New York only for business trips, I wanna enjoy these moments" he says turning back around and continuing his photo shoot. I sigh and look back outside, a small knot forming in my stomach once Grayson silently slips his hand into mines a hides them between us.

We haven't announced our relationship status yet. I don't know if we ever will, given the fact that Ethan is very sad. All I know is that we can't keep it a secret forever, people will figure it out eventually.

The car stops suddenly and the driver turns around to my dad "Here's the restaurant sir"
My dad nods happily and tells him the time he should come back to pick us up.
Before I know it we're all in the luxurious restaurant full of luxurious lamps and well dressed people.

"Luckily I put this dress" I whisper to myself looking down at the velvet dress on me.
"In which you look amazing" Ethan whispers back, probably hearing my words. I blush and smile at him and murmur a thanks.

A tall, handsome waiter, with a suit and tie leads us to a round table graciously covered with all kinds of plates and forks and knives for every occasion and plate. I give my stepmom a look, she's smiling widely as she talks to the twins mom. The waiter holds out the chair for the two women with us and for me too in the end,  blush silently at his blond hair falling back on his face while he leans back to push it in. All eyes are on me, waiting for me to react.

"Thanks" I whisper looking back at the table and the people looking at me. Ethan and Grayson are on their phones, probably on Twitter because I see them scroll and type, scroll and type and so on. Another waiter is now here, a little older than the other one but still very handsome, he hands us the red menus and I scroll my eyes through it happily.

The salad section is vast, full of condiments and ingredients making me want them all. I end up choosing my usual Italian salad.

"What have you chosen dear?" My dad asks from the other side of the round table.
"An Italian salad like always, you know my love for mozzarella" I tell him, trying to add an accent in my last word but failing making the twins giggle. I shoot them a glare and they giggle louder, making a few customers turn around with frowns, making the diamonds on their necks dingle. I softly kick Grayson's leg and he stops, kicking Ethan's leg making him groan in pain. I am the one who giggles now, I cover my mouth with the napkin on my legs and softly close my eyes to make the laughter disappear.

"Amanda, Amanda" Ethan says shaking his head mockingly and smiling softly. I shrug before taking a sip of water that one of the waiters has just served me.

In no time our food is served along with different things to nibble during the wait. My eyes fall in love with the luxurious salad that stands in front of me, but I frown as I see everybody take meat, potatoes and desserts. Something that I hate.

"No dessert for you love?" My stepmother asks me turning her head towards me, making the whole table turn, along with the waiter standing patiently in front of me. I shake my head and glance at Grayson who is frowning slightly and gives me a questioning look. I ignore it and look at Ethan who is engagingly tweeting.

The waiter taps the last orders on his small machine and jogs away towards the sliding doors of the kitchen. Steam flies out once they open and close making me see for a few seconds inside, the big men with the weird chef hats joggling with the pans.

"We're going to visit the Empire State Building now" John, the twins dad says as the waiter hands him a plate with a huge chocolate cake on it. My stepmom claps her hands in excitement and my dad starts talking about the history of it, which makes me doze off in my daydreams and in Grayson's sweet eyes as he looks into mine with a smile.

I look up at the ceiling and discover it's numerous paintings. They all have naked people swiftly drawn with golden crowns on clouds. It's all very blue and white because of the sky and the clouds that have been painted. It all contrasts with the red of their velvet tunics cover only half on their body.

"Is this Renaissance art?" I ask my head still looking up at the details.
"Well it's a copy, a bit like Vegas. You see, " I hear Grayson's voice and look down to him, his perfectly made face is looking up right now, making his jaw line even better drawn. I stare at him with amazed eyes "there's some of the details that are not well drawn, like the pillars here, you see the shadows are not well drawn either. It looks so fake right? And look at the details in their faces, you cannot compare that to Michelangelo" he finishes admiring the subject and looking back at me with the same eyes he had looking at the ceiling.

I smile, loving the fact that with him I have real conversations about real stuff. That with passion in our voices we talk about art, literature and common society, sharing our same interests. I've always dreamt of having someone like him.

Ethan interrupts our staring by clearing his voice and whispering something into Grayson's ear. I look away and back at the ceiling noticing Grayson's remarks about the details.

The waiter is now clearing the plates from the table and my father is debating with the twins father for who pays the check. I just look at the twins, curious about what Ethan must've said to make the tension between them so high and awkward. They are both just staring at their screens, not particularly doing anything with them just plain staring.

I quickly look away eves dropping my step moms and twins mother conversation about the shopping we're going to have and smile at the different avenues they talk about and shops, making me forget the conflict that's happening just next to me.

I knew this had to come one day.