Chapter 5 - The School

Hiya Wattpaders! I hope you're enjoying my story cuz I'm really working hard on this. I want this story to be the best. Kind of like, 'the first impression is the best impression.' Please note that I said, 'kind of like'.

I've been reading a lot of books lately. I just finished the Maximum Ride series. And if there's any Percy Jackson lovers reading this, I've got news! The first chapter of House of Hades is out and if you haven't read it already, the following link will help you find it:

http://rickriordan.com/Files/Documents/HouseofHades_chapter%20one.pdf

Anyway, please enjoy the fifth chapter!!! And of course, vote and comment! 

Ash's Pov

There was no night, not a single one, where I could actually just close my eyes and sleep. No. No sleep for Ash.

My throat felt hoarse and my eyes were still damp from all the crying. I barely noticed my hands clutching my pillow even harder. I needed some comfort, some form of warmth to come back to reality. Yesterday, Ray's arms seemed to help some and then they vanished when he turned over in his sleep, carrying along with it any sense of hope that I would finally fall asleep.

The scars on my back were hurting again.

I shuffled over in my bed trying to get comfortable. He was right there, sleeping so peacefully, sleeping so soundly that I couldn't help but envy him. I couldn't do that even if I tried. There was always the screams, always the blood, always those who wanted to hurt.

His hands were wound round a pillow, hugging it close to him. I wished he was holding me instead. All the other times he had touched me, accidentally or even on purpose, I had calmed myself down, I had been able to get used to him, get used to the knowledge that he would never hurt me.

I watched him sleep for a long time, simply laying there, unable to look away. I wanted to reach out and touch him but I was too scared. I didn't know him and I couldn't risk it.

He mumbled softly as his eyes opened slowly. I panicked, my heart racing as I immediately closed my eyes, pretending to be asleep. I didn't want to be caught staring at him.

"Hey," he said quietly, shaking me gently. I tried not to flinch and I had to reconsider if I had actually gotten used to him at all. Was such a thing possible within two days? "Wake up. I know you're awake."

I felt my cheeks flush.

"I'm still sleeping," I replied.

"You were," he agreed. "But only about a half hour back. I'm pretty sure you were staring at me."

I snuggled into my pillow in embarrassment. "No!"

I heard him chuckle, a slow music that rumbled from his chest. I wanted to hear it again. Maybe even capture it.

"Come on," he insisted, shaking me again. I groaned, turning my back on him. "I want breakfast."

"Go make some on your own," I grumbled.

"I don't know where the kitchen is," he bit back.

"I showed you yesterday."

"I forgot the way."

"Just wander round a bit and you'll find it," I muttered, closing my eyes.

"We're handcuffed."

"We're not."

There was a small pause. I wondered if he was going to give up. The bed felt so good right now, so good unlike never before.

"I think I twisted my ankle. I-"