Meeting The Parents

Chapter 15

After returning from college at around 14:00 PM, since the last few classes were cancelled (to my luck), I quickly called my parents, eager to talk to them since I knew that their flight had arrived this morning. I would make sure they were home first before actually going for a visit.

Listening to the phone ringing, finally, someone picked up and my mother’s voice was audible, causing me to smile happily. “Hello?” She said, and I quickly responded with, “Hey, mom.” She went quiet for a few seconds, before beginning to talk again in a quite joyful sounding tone.

“Jolie, my love. I missed your voice.”

“Same, mom, same. Mind if I come over now? I would come for dinner, but I have to help a classmate of mine with an essay.”

“Oh, I wouldn’t mind at all,” She took a small break, “And that’s very nice of you to offer your help. I can see that we raised you the right way.”

Her words made me blush. “Don’t flatter me! Well, I also wanted to ask if I could take… um… my boyfriend.”

“Daniel? Of course, darling, bring him over.”

Now, the explaining would begin. I quickly told her that I was no longer together with Daniel and that I had another now, and she seemed rather understanding when I asked her not to talk about my ex with me. I loved my mom for that.

“I still need to ask him if he has time though,” I spoke into my phone, “He’s a businessman.”

“Alright, honey. Ask your lover and then come over. Dad and I are awaiting you!”

Ending our call with goodbyes, I hung up and directly dialed Niall’s number, hoping that he has time now. He still didn’t respond to my text last night, which made me somehow sad, but I thought that I should stop acting like a child because I really wanted my parents to meet him.

“What is it?” He spoke in annoyance as he had picked up, and my face went blank. Seemed like he was pissed at me.

“Niall, I just wanted to ask if you would like to come to visit my parents with me,” I responded nervously after a small minute of hesitation.

“Why don’t you bring Caleb with you? I bet he’d love to meet his parents-in-law. Aren’t you going to meet him today anyways?”

Well, now that broke my heart. I lowered the phone from my ear for a little while, taking the words he said in. He was beyond pissed, but he had no reason to. I didn’t bitch him out either when he told me that he had no time, so what was wrong with him?

“Fine. I see that you are angry at me for helping a classmate with his essay, so anyways, sorry for wasting your time. Have fun doing whatever you did yesterday when I asked you to spend time with me, I’ll just go alone and tell my parents that you had work to do. Bye.”

Right when I was about to hang up, he stopped me. A small sigh came from the phone’s speaker, and he gave in.

“No. I’ll come with you. Get ready and I’ll be there in about half an hour.”

A small smile curled up on my lips and before the line went dead, I muttered a quick “Thank you.” I wondered if he heard me, but then again, I would have to talk to him when he arrived here as well. Maybe I should be extra affectionate.

Getting into proper garments (a sleeveless, baby blue blouse, skinny jeans and black peep-toes) and doing my make-up in a way that it looked natural, I heard the door bell ring and went to answer the door phone first, but when a knock at my door was audible, I opened it to see Niall in front of me…