Chapter Nineteen

Ria had her back faced to the door, she had no idea someone was watching her.

He was watching her.

No matter how much she hated him, he could never really stay away from her. She was his drug that he needed, daily. Even just a glimpse of her, knowing that she was safe and happy, was all he needed. No words, no physical contact, just the sight of her was enough for him.

He noticed a change in her, her hair was always covering her face instead of tied into a ponytail (to cover the red puffy eyes she had everyday) She began to slump as she walked instead of the look of confidence she wore every morning, never looking anyone but her cousins & Suli in the eye. But she was still very beautiful, and everyone thought that she was single. That angered him.

But little did she know, the day she answered the question to be his, that would be forever. Nothing would break that, and eventually he knew they would be together again. But as each day went pass, a little bit of his hope disappeared.

***

"Keep going, straight straight straight" Caesar was smiling, he must have been a good teacher.

"Ria your still alive" Lebron yelled from their front porch.

Everyone was laughing, they struggled to get Ria into the car and driving was natural for her. They had only been practising for a month.

"Ok now you can drive me to KFC when I feel like it" - Drew

"Aye, nahh. You still have Chas & Hoani"

"Yeah, she's my driver" Nan smiled.

"Ok so now we don't have to catch the train to the mall" Lani smiled giving praise

"2am runs to Mckdeeze" - Hoani

"WAIT! I am not driving everyone everywhere 24/7 aiighhht, mahhgawwwd"

Everyone bursted into laughter.

"Wikitoria, we are very proud of you, mind your idiot cousins" Uncle Hami swung his arm around me and placed a kiss on my forehead.

"Ok well can you please go with Lani and get some stuff for the BBQ? the boys already got the meat. Just get drinks and bread" Aunty Theresa smiled.

Lani grabbed her jacket and we were off.

And if you were ever to leave, I don't think I could breathe anymore

And if you were to say goodbye, tear drops would fall from my eyes just for you

The two cousins were miming the lyrics to Sammy J along with there grammy-worthy facials. They had a unique relationship. Lani had already got her licence but she was to lazy to drive. Typical Lani.

The two girls sprinted into the Woolworths entrance. Lani went to go get the bread while Ria rode on the trolley to the drink section. Now this was typical Ria.

Ria was moving so fast that she slipped causing the trolley to run into the wall.

"Ria????? Fkn 12vie" Lani rushed to her cousin and helped her cousin.

"Sorry, it was a faster way to get the drinks and I was bored"

"Is everything ok girls?" The girls looked to their side and saw a female worker.

"Yes, my cousin just fell. Sorry" Lani chucked an angelic smile.

She left and we began laughing before grabbing the boxes of soft drinks and leaving to pay for them. 

The family wasn't celebrating anything really, just the fact that Ria could be anyone's personal driver from now on, and Ria being the kind-hearted angel could never really refuse. Aunty Theresa, Uncle Hamiora and Nan were all sitting on the table on the back porch. Just talking and laughing, Ria loved seeing Nan like that, it made her smile.

Chas grabbed his guitar from the house and began playing maori melodies. All the cousins gathered round', harmonising with the guitar. It sounded so beautiful. It was the first time Ria let herself go, and smile properly.

It felt amazing, there were no bad vibes. The atmosphere was cool, no one was sad or in tears. Just one big happy family.

***

Ria took her old keyboard out from the garage and placed it back in her room.

It felt so right for her to be in touch with her past self. Do you ever get the feelings, why you gave up on something? Something that relaxed you? Something that made you feel like you weren't in the world? That made you feel like you were in a place where you could be happy and calm?

That's exactly what Ria was feeling.

She grabbed nans' keys and started driving. It was late at night and Ria had no idea where she was going. Her main instinct was telling her to just drive until she reached the end of all roads. 

We're back to playing, the crying game

I could've given everything

Don't wanna let the tears begin

We're back to playing, the crying game

Ria's eyelids felt heavy....

BANG!