Chapter Twelve

RIA'S POV*Monday*

Having a boyfriend is different to what I expected. Last morning and Saturday morning he sent me the most heart melting texts. He can make me smile even if he's not with me. I haven't seen him since the birthday because he had some family stuff going on in the west.

I place Hua's hand inside mine. "Bye Nan" we both smile.

"Good Bye bub" she smiles back. Walking down the stairs, we see Matt sitting leaning against our gate.

"What are you doing here Mister?" I ask hugging him from behind.

"What does it look like? I'm here to walk my girlfriend and her nephew to school" he smirks before swinging his right arm around my shoulder and kissing the top of my head.

"Yukkk" Hua scoffs behind me.

"Ehh, stop being silly. C'mon let's go" I hold out my hand. He holds my hand and we begin walking. I feel Matts hand sneak up around my waist.

"Ria?Te aha, ko tona ringa a tawhio noa koe? (Why is is hand around you?)" Hua asks.

"Ahau tika matao, Hua. kia haere a takiuru koe i roto. (I'm just a bit cold, Hua. Come on, let's go sign you in" I smile realising my self from Matt's grip.

I sign him in before hugging him. All throughout the walk to school, he tells about him visiting his Marae, and how it looked like. I can imagine the ta moko's painted all around the Marae. It makes me miss my Marae. I haven't been there since I was a little wahine (girl).

"Matt" I say tugging on his hand, stopping him from entering the front gate.

"Don't worry babe" I whisper.

"But everyone's going to stare" I complain.

"Let them, everyone needs to know your my girl" he swings his arm around my shoulder and walks me inside.

Everyone we pass, either drops their jaw or begins whispering, and that's just the girls. The guys just nod before going back to what they were doing.

"Everyone's looking at us" I sigh into the side of his shoulder. I feel him kiss the top of my head.

Spotting Lisa, she looks like her face is going to fall off. I decide to get a little revenge, I pull Matt closer to me and give him a quick peck. Unfortunately, we ended up kissing far to long to call it "quick".

"Hey, I should probably get to Suli" I smile letting go of his hand.

"Bye" he says before walking off to his friends. I find Suli & Lani gossiping all the while looking at me.

"What?" I ask.

"Nothing, I'm just so proud of you" Suli fakes a sob while putting her hand on her heart.

"What a girl, let's get to class" I pull both there's hands.

***Lunch Time***
Quiet is something I'm experiencing for the first time today, sitting alone on one of the picnic tables.

"Why you sitting alone, princess?" Matt sits across from me lifting up my chin.

"You've been crying, what happened?" His face goes from worried to murderous.

As if on cue, some girls from Lisa's "group" walk past our table imitating a chicken while snickering. It's only the girls doing this, surprisingly the guys have more common sense. I rest my head in the table, not paying attention to Matt's next move, a mistake I regret. He stands up onto the table and yells,

"Ok, so some of you's thinks it's funny making fun of my girlfriend. Yeah, my girlfriend right here, I love her and I don't care what you's think. But if you hurt her, your going to have to go by me first." And with that, he hops off from the table and sits beside me.