23 | candy lips

For the odd ones,

"You have to be odd, to be number one."

- Dr. Seuss.

__________

CH 23

"I think you should come," Layla says, as she dusts her cheeks with her bronzer. She looks extremely pretty in her cheer outfit, and I wonder how many boys will be ogling at her.

"I don't know, Layla. I feel like if I go to the football match I'll be leading him on." I sigh and smooth down my pajamas. "And plus, I don't want Chase to think I like him or something."

"Look, you still have three solid hours. You can take your time and decide." She ties her hair into a tight high ponytail, and fastens it with a blue bow. "But this is his first match that he's playing here. He's got no friends, or anyone else that will be supporting him. He needs you."

She picks up her bag and turns to leave. "Now I have to be there, in ten minutes. We've got two practice sessions before the match, so bye!"

She walks out of the room, and I dunk my head onto my pillow with a grunt. I'm so confused and my mind is filled with thoughts that conflict and contradict themselves. Should I have gone with Alex yesterday? Should I speak to Chase now? Since he forgot about the date yesterday I was pretty grumpy, but I hadn't spoken to him yet. And he didn't try calling or texting too.

Suddenly my phone rings with a text. I warily pick it up and check it. It's a text from Alex.

"I really, really hope you come."

I sigh loudly. Can it get any worse?

XxX XxX XxX XxX

Two hours later, and I've finally given in to my guilt. I change into a cropped top with a pleated skirt, and throw on a thick scarf as well. Alex did come here after all. And ditching his whole life behind, and spending all his savings for me, really speaks VOLUMES, about how much he loves me. But when I can't reciprocate his feelings, the least I can do, is respect them.

I holler out to Aunty Vanessa, that I'm going to school to watch the game, and then I step out. It's a warm night but it's interspersed with a few cold winds. It takes me nearly ten minutes to walk to the ground and the car-park is jam packed. The entire area is loud, with the voices of the students, parents, grandparents, and just about any relative imaginable. I guess these games are a pretty big thing. I haven't been to even one football match so I have no clue about these type of events. The smell of fries, popcorn and pretzels is very tempting, and so I give in and buy a large chocolate coated pretzel.

I'm taking tiny nibbles of it as I head to the ticket counter and purchase my ticket. Once I'm let inside, I take small baby steps because that's how much the place is crowded.

Alex wanted me here, because there was no one to support him. But as I search for a seat on the bleachers I can't help but feel the same way. I'm going to be sitting alone on the bleachers without anyone I know for an entire football match.

There's a couple in front of me, and they're blocking the entire queue, as the girl tickles the boy lightly in his waist.

"Excuse me?" I snap, due to my irritated mood, and when they turn around, my heart jolts for a second. Phoebe and Ian?

"Fae!" She squeals excitedly. She turns away from Ian to give me a hug. "What are you doing here?"

"Exact same thing that you're busy doing," I say with a wink, and suddenly my mood is elevated. I've got my friends here after all. "I'm here to watch the game."