All The Lovely Little Vampires chapter 30

CHAPTER THIRTY

          I hugged my knees to my chest, feeling as hopeless as I did when I was being drug under by the pitch black darkness that consumed me during my period of downward spiraling. I had my iPhone ear buds plugged into my ears, drowning out thoughts of Aro and the Wolves, of Alecs shredded, burning corpse, and the strong smell of sulfur that clung to my clothes from the smoke. Slow Life by Grizzly Bear smoothly played, bringing a small sense of peace to me. I was just waiting for Aro to call me, knowing he will sooner or later.

          When I retuned home, no one questioned me about the luggage outside. Because it wasn’t there. I defiantly recall it being there when Alec took me away, too. So Aro must have been here. He probably assumed my luggage awaiting his arrival outside meant something, and is hanging around the area, waiting to strike. I shuddered as the slow rock played on in my head.

          The room seemed to move around me, going on with life as I remained frozen in this one spot, unable to get a hold of my mind, of myself. What would I do? I was stuck in a horrible situation, and there was no way for me to get out where it would end well. I had to go with Aro, or he would strike out on my family and kill them, along with the one I love most. Not to mention they would never let him take me away forever, and would die to take me back. They wouldn't allow him to turn me and make me into a monster, and he wouldn't let me feed on animal blood. Plus he and the others would always tempt me, and I would eventually fall into the habit of human feeding.

          I had no choice but to go to Voluretta. Maybe I could or something out with Aro, where I could stay here instead of there. I snorted. Yeah, right. In a land where it rained gumdrops and there was always a rainbow in the clear blue sky, but not here in constantly-stormy Forks, Washington. I couldn’t even will myself to cry.

          There was a small knock on my window, and I leapt ten feet in the air. I looked over and saw a shadow move through the drapes. I got up, moving slowly to the window. It couldn’t be that bad, or else whatever was out there would have simply busted inside other than knock politely as it just had. I inched over to the window and pulled back the curtains, shocked to see Jacob there. A few things ran through my mind. What the hell is he dong here? How does he know where I live? What does he want? I cracked open the window, cold damp air rushing in and hitting my skin. “Jake? What are you doing here?” I whisper hissed at him. The Indian looked at me innocently, and I felt bad about getting onto him like that. I sighed. “What is it?”

          “I came here for two reasons,” He began, climbing into my window as if asked inside. I knew the others could smell him, a mile away even, and I could see Carlisle stopping Edward and some of the younger, more protective ones like Emmett and Rosalie, from coming up to my defense. He paused for more than a few seconds, so I frilled him. “Yes?” Jake cleared his throat. He still wore no shirt, just his cut off denim kapris and old running Nikes. He had the greenish hue of an Indian tattoo, the sign of a Wolf, on his upper arm. I had to admit, Jake had a nice body. But that didn’t blind me stupidly like most girls.

          “Well, for one, tell your leeches to stay off our land.”

          I let out a small, sharp laugh of sarcasm. “Is that right? They came to help me, and it’s not like they were hurting anyone.” I laid down my word stubbornly. He shook his head. “Not just them, the others, too. The one who brought you there.” He clarified. Alec? “Well, I'm sure Alec won’t bother you any longer.” I retorted. Jake rolled his small brown eyes at me. “And the other three.” I swallowed my sassy remark. I know he means Victoria Laurant and James. “They are not my friends, but my problem.” I murmured. They went on his land?