All The Lovely Little Vampires chapter 31

CHAPTER THIRTY ONE

          I froze up under the wolves’ intense stares. Their faces were bleak and unreadable, until one finally spoke. “Lia. Welcome, I'm Billy Black, Jacobs father.” The man in the wheelchair rolled himself over and shook my hand. The pack loosened up, and a few others came forward to introduce themselves. “I'm Quill.” One younger boy said, “And I'm Sam, the packs chief.” An older Wolf stepped forward, shaking my hand in greeting. A woman came up to me after him, and I choked back a gasp. She was lovely, the same tan skin and dark hair as the rest, most likely one of the tribe. But across her face, extending from her temple down to her chin was a deep old scar, a claw line.

          This is what Edward meant. I gagged holding back my surprise, and shook her hand politely. “I'm Emily.” She introduced. “Hello.” I nodded, smiling. I'm sure she wouldn't appreciated it if I gaped at her scar, though I found it difficult not to.

          The pack led me into Jacobs living room, and we all stood in a deformed circle, really just aimlessly standing about, no one daring to be in the center until Sam came in. “We asked you here today to secure that our secret was safe.” Sam directed it to me, going straight to the point, not dawdling o the subject or working his way up. It caught me off guard. Did they really think I would say something? “Well, I happen to be an excellent secret keeper.” I pointed out, meaning the vampires hush hush topic. “Besides, I've known for years.” I added.

          Sam nodded once, curtly. “Yes, well, we have to go through procedure anyways.” He told me. Procedure? What procedure? Apparently my face said it all, and Jake spoke up. “He means you have to swear it.”

          I ohhed and gave Sam a thumbs up. “Gotcha. Okay- how do I do this? Is there a book or something I place my left hand on? Specific words?”

          Giggled spared through the room, muffled. I noticed Emily cover her smile behind a hand. Sam remained serious. “You have to blood bond.”

          I felt myself go pale. “What? N-no way! I can’t just prick my finger and swap blood with a random person! I can’t!” Needled always scared me. They had to practically put me under for a mandatory shot. I can’t consciously draw my own blood and then swap blood with a Wolf. Edward would smell it on me, and then a war would wage. I don’t want my blood contaminated with Wolf blood. He would be able to taste the filth of Wolf if he ever turned me. I didn’t want that. No way.

          Suddenly, Sam and the whole room erupt with laughter. I looked up, baffled. “You should have seen your face!” Sam exclaimed, still chuckling. I felt a layer of relief and sheepishness fall over me. A joke. What a load off my shoulders. “Nice. You scared the hell out of me.” I laughed, combing my curls back with my fingers. “All you really have to do is swear it and shake my hand.” Sam admitted.

          Stepping forward, I held out my hand and spoke. “I, Ophilia Williamson, do hereby oath to never reveal the well concealed secret of the Quilitite Wolves of Forks Washington, and if I ever was to, would suffer the appropriate consequences.” I cited. The room was silent for a moment. “Wow, all you had to say was ‘I swearing not to tell anyone.’. You went all smart there.” One of the boys, Quill, commented. The room laughed, and a young looking girl, older than I by a few years, hit him in the back of the head. “Could you feel your brain cell growing?” She joked.

          Quill pointed a finger at her. “Threes more than one in there, actually.” He replied, raising his eyebrows. I smiled o myself, realizing how casual I feel. I assumed that they would all stare me down and give me the could-shoulder-and-silent treatment for being in love with a ‘soulless demon’, as they see it. But it’s not like they even know him at all. He, or the rest of the Cullen’s for that matter, is nothing like the vampires that attacked their village all those centuries ago.