Chapter 16- Birthday

"Hold on, I'll be right back," I said to Scott and Zoey as I heard the light ring of my phone coming from my room. I jogged up the stairs and down the hall to my room. As I walked across the room to my phone, it stopped ringing. I checked my phone to see that I got a miss call from Justin. My heart thumbed against my rib cage as I opened his contact and called him back.

"Hey," Justin said when he answered the phone after four rings. "H-hey," I cleared my throat and continued to say, "you called?" "Um, yeah," he said. He sounds uncomfortable, I thought, but then shook my head. I heard Justin sigh into the phone and curse quietly.

I sat on the edge of my bed just as he said, "Look, Kayla, I'm sorry I snapped at you. I shouldn't have since what happened to you in the past couple of days. I was just pissed and betrayed, but Scott came over before and told me he made the move on you, not the other way around."

"No, I'm sorry, I shouldn't have done anything that would hurt you. I wasn't thinking," I said, tears close to falling from eyes. I really didn't mean to hurt him. "No, it isn't your fault, I promise. I-wait, are you crying?" he asked, sounding concern. How could he hear that little sound I made in the back of my throat? I thought. I was indeed little a little, maybe four tears falling out of my eyes altogether. I wiped my eyes with the back of my hand.

"No, I'm okay," I said simply. "Look, I want to talk you in person, not over the phone. Can we meet in tomorrow?" he asked eagerly. I laughed, "Okay, but Zoey and Scott want to take me out for my birthday, so if you don't want to talk in front of them, then the next day?" "Yeah, that's okay. I mean to talking in front of them. I want to get this over with so I don't feel so bad." "Great, I will tell you when we go." We said our goodbyes and I hung up. I sigh and tossed my phone aside.

Just as I got to the bedroom door, my phone beeped, telling me that I got a message. I turned around and reached for my phone. I'm are coming for you, Kayla, the message said. It was from an unknown number so I couldn't call or text the person back. I shivered. "Hey Scott?" I called as I got to the bottom on the stairs. "Yeah?" he replied. I walked into the living room where Scott and Zoey were watching TV.

"Do you know who this is by any chance?" I asked as I handed Scott my phone. His eyebrows knotted together when he took the phone, and sat straight up when he read the message. "When did you get this?" he asked, when Zoey took the phone out of Scott's hand and read the message herself. Her expression changed from relaxed and collected tot concerned and angry.

"Like a minute ago. Justin called to meet up later to talk when we go out for my birthday, and as I left my room, my phone beeped. This is what it said," I shrugged. Scott cursed under his breath and said, "I don't know who it is, but I am going to keep an eye on you for now on until we find out exactly who it is." I nodded and sat down on the couch. Zoey handed me back my phone, but said nothing, which was unlike her. She was also pale.

"Hey Zoey, you okay?" I asked, looking at her with an curious look. "Huh? Oh, yeah, of course," Zoey said, "It's just I don't want anything to happen to you, I mean after Tyler kidnapping you and Scott being a wer-" "Whoa, whoa. whoa, you told her about those things?" Scott interrupted. "Of course I did. I couldn't keep it from her and if anything happened that she got hurt and she didn't know anything, that'll kill me," I reported.

Scott cursed, "Yeah, I guess you're right. I just think you should have told me first." "I'm sorry," I replied, sinking back into the couch. "It's fine," he mumbled. I sighed, knowing him, it wasn't okay, he will be upset for a while. "Anyway," Zoey said, breaking the silence, "open you gift from me!"

She got up off the couch and ran upstairs. She came down a minute later with five boxes wrapped in 'happy birthday' wrapping paper. I laughed at her expression as she handed me the gifts. Zoey had a goofy grin on, making her dimples pop out more than they usually do.