Chapter 1: To War

"Wake up, bus is here."

I opened my eyes and sat up from my place on the bench to see Reven as he looked down at me.

I nodded.

"Alright, I'm up..."

Reven is essentially my adoptive parent... he took me in all those years ago. He is a tall man, muscled proportionately. He is wearing the standard light-tan uniform we got from basic training. His hair is a dark black and he has light brown eyes. I wish... he wasn't drafted into this.

"Well kiddo, let's get going."

I nodded as I grabbed my bag from its place next to me on the bench.

Together, Reven and I walked onto the bus in front of us.

The side of which is a really dark blue, almost blending into the surroundings, the lights in the inside and on the headlights cutting through the pale light of day.

As we stepped inside, the bus creaked slightly, nobody looking at us. It's really crowded, soldiers lining all of the seats, except a row in the front.

We sat down in the empty seats as the bus driver looked at us.

He doesn't look like a soldier, probably one of the civilian volenteers...

"You two the last of them?"

I dropped my bag at my feet, beneath the seat.

Reven nodded.

"Yes sir, were good to go."
The bus driver turned back to his driving and closed the doors as we drove off.

I looked outside the window to see my hometown slowly come out of view.

It's really dark outside... more than normal.

Reven nudged me.

"So, how you doing?"

I rolled my shoulders.

"Fine I guess..."
Reven pulled out a small photograph.

"Yeah... same for me I suppose. Though, this isn't my first time sad to say."

That's right, he was in the first war... long before the clouds.

Reven sighed as he put the photo away.

"Heh, guess I was foolish to think my services wouldn't need to be required."

Reven coughed suddenly, holding his hand over his mouth, and looked at me.

"What do you think about all this, anyway?"

I looked back out the window.

"It really doesn't matter to me... the war... in the end we are all dead anyway."
Reven held onto my shoulder.

"What have I told you about thinking like that? We're not going to die-"

I looked at Reven sternly.

"Yes we are... that's just how it is. No need to lie about it."
Reven looked at me half-concerned, half-understanding.

"Boy, you have a lot to learn. Whether you think this is worth something or not, once we get into the war... I am sure you're not going to want to die-"
"I never said that I wanted to die..."

Reven rolled his eyes.

"Look, we'll be fine. You shouldn't make this a death sentence."

I smiled slightly.

"You know Reven... maybe your right."
Reven smiled.

"Of course. Anyway, I need to get some sleep before we reach the next town. Haven't been sleeping as well as I used to, and we have five towns to go before we get to our post."