Chapter 8: Apathetic Fatalism

Regalio carried me to the barracks, and took me to my room. Surprisingly the door opened rather easily.

He rushed in and dropped me onto the bed, as he panted.

I laid flat on my back as I looked to the side to see Tari and the siblings looking at me in awe.

Tari stood up and rushed to my side.

"H-Hey what's going on?"

Regalio stopped panting for long enough that he spouted out,

"There are... Solfree soldiers attacking the walls... he got... shot... give me a moment..."

Regalio walked out of the room.

Tari looked at me worried.

"You alright...?"
I frowned as I looked at her.

"I was shot... with a bullet that had some sort of toxin or the other... besides that... how are you all in here? How did you even get in here?"
Tari shook her head.

"The door was open and nobody at the front desk pays attention..."

I see...

The girl went up to the bed next to me.

"You ok, Arian...?"
I nodded.

"I'm fine... I'm fine... besides... it wouldn't matter if I had died... anyway..."

Tari looked at me somewhat angry.

"Why are you so damn-"
"He's always been an apathetic fatalist..."

Revens voice came from the other side of the room.

I looked to see Reven as he walked inside.

"Hey Arian... how are you?"

I shook my head.

"Seen better days..."
Reven stared at me with serious eyes that wouldn't let go.

"The enemy has fallen back for now... but, Arian... it's time we talked about this... problem of yours... before it consumes you. Now that you are confined to this bed."
So... Reven finally decided to do it...

Tari looked to the siblings.

"You two need to go outside, for a little bit, okay?"

The boy nodded as he grabbed his sister's arm and pulled her out of the room.

After they left Reven looked at Tari.

"If you wish, you can stay. However... just note that I need to talk to you later."

Tari nodded her head.

Reven looked at me.

"Arian... you going to finally tell me why you've been such an apathetic person? Even if we are doomed-I don't like that you-"
"Don't tell my life story before hearing it, Reven..."
Using my free hand I grabbed the key from underneath my uniform, with some difficulty.

"This... was the last thing my father ever gave to me..."
I am remembering old memories... memories I... I want to forget.

I laid the key on my chest.

"Now, I don't want sympathy... that's the last thing that I want... but you know... perhaps it will be good that I explain my story. You see... my father was always a kind man, and he would always take me into the forest on 'adventures' as he used to call it. I don't remember much about him, except how good of a person he was. One day, the day I turned six, he took me out into the woods, and together we peered over a cliff to watch the sunset. At the time I didn't know it would be the last sunset I ever saw. He told me that we wouldn't see the sun anymore, and that it was partly his fault. That's when he gave me this key, and told me that he was sorry. Only to shoot himself and fall of the edge of the cliff. Soon, I was found by the local authorities, which my dad called beforehand, and took me to an orphanage as the clouds came. Ever since then, I lived my life in a dark place where those around me slowly began to starve as the town soon started to run low on food, the orphanage built somewhat far into the woods, with very little light. Many of the crops in town started to die off, without enough sunlight. Now... who do you think is more likely to get the remaining food? An orphan for whom nobody cares about...? Or a child who has parents? Obvious... right? So we were left to fend for ourselves, and as I grew I slowly learned that life was meaningless if no matter what we do, we end up dying out of no fault of our own... The clouds slowly kill the world around us... suffocating it. Whether I live or die... it will have been an inevitability, whether by the clouds or through each other. That orphanage was hell... and people resorted to the only food source left. It taught me just what our lives are worth..."

Reven closed his eyes for a moment.

"Arian... do you remember the day I met you...?"
I nodded.

He came to the orphanage, despite the dangers of the woods to find me, alone in the orphanage, on the verge of starvation, the others already dead. How could I forget...?

Reven smiled.

"That day, at the orphanage, once you saw me I knew that you didn't want to die. Nobody does, inevitable or not. The point is... I saw in you a chance to live. I made my way to that orphanage because I couldn't handle the thought of children outcast from the town, left to fend for their own for four years... and when I saw you, I became determined to help you and watch you live, a choice that was taken away from you. And you did. You lived. I raised you, though I knew you were always distant. And after you were drafted... I signed up to watch over you and give you the best chance at life."

Reven...?

"You... weren't drafted...?"
Reven closed his eyes.

"No... I wasn't. You know Arian... life isn't about how long or how short it is... life is about enjoying your existence, and persisting to live on even when death is inevitable. Finding people to spend it with... Because you're right, Arian. Death is inevitable, but the thing is, you should enjoy it while you can-live while you can. Life is not meaningless unless you make it unworthy living."
Reven sighed.

"I... I have never been good with these sort of things Arian. I just... never mind. I am glad to see you doing better."

Reven started to leave the room, but stopped.

"Mam... I need to talk to you. Meet me in my office in ten minutes... I'll be in the military command... just tell them I asked for you."

Reven left the room, leaving me and Tari alone.

Tari stayed silent as she stared at me.

"So..."
I shook my head.

"Don't worry about me. I hardly even know you... so you shouldn't care..."
Tari smiled faintly.

"You know Arian... I have known you for only about a day, but... even I can tell that you are hurting inside."
I shook my head.

"If you say so... Tari. Regardless, I have to ask you something now. Who are the siblings... and what are you running from?"

Tari stayed silent for a moment as she looked towards the doorway.

"I'm sure... you've heard the rumors... about Luna and Sol, right?"
Luna and Sol..? Wait... those soldiers at the gate mentioned something like that...

"The Solfree nation somehow captured the moon and sun sprits, causing the clouds to come? And that if they were to be killed... the clouds would leave...?"
Tari nodded her head.

"Yes..."
"What about it...?"
Tari shook her head.

"You see... the siblings... their names are Sol, and Luna."