Chapter 12: Holding Firm

I rested Regalio on a small cot next to the other wounded soldiers as medics made their way from one patient to the next, the sounds of groaning and whimpers coming from them.

Right now were inside the wall of the city... and I'm not sure what our next move is.

A younger man ran into the room shouting.

"All available soldiers report outside of the walls! I repeat! All available soldiers!"
Guess we've got our orders...

I picked up a new rifle from the nearest weapon rack and refilled on ammunition before I ran outside of the wall, following the remainder of the others that still work.

Outside we lined up in front of Arpegio.

He looked at all of us solemnly.

"Looks like we're going to be held up here for quite some time boys. We are blockaded on all sides, and evacuation is no longer an order. From here on out until things change... were going to need to protect this city to the last man. All civilians are to be moved to the center of the city into the shelters. The rest of us are going to patrol the walls twenty-four seven until we can get our reinforcement troops from further in our nation. Is that understood?"
"Yes sir!"
I have to go find Tari and the siblings...

As everyone started to move in all directions I made my way towards the barrack building.

Many of the city people moved out of their homes and made their way to the center of town, guarded by soldiers. Along the way I passed the main street, where three artillery guns sat in the middle. Their crews at work reloading them.

Eventually I found myself at the barracks where Tari and the siblings stood outside in wait, next to Reven. As they saw me they ran to me.

Tari looked at me with the upmost concern.

"Arian! What's going on...?"

I looked at her.

"Looks like Solfree finally decided to attack us..."

Reven nodded as he walked towards us.

"Yes... seems they have. Arian. Get your family to safety... then meet me at the command center."
I nodded.

"Alright..."

I turned around, Tari and the siblings following me as we made our way through the streets.

Sol walked ahead of us and turned around to look at me.

"So... know why they are headed our way?"
I shook my head.

"You two...?"
Sol smirked.

"Perhaps... perhaps. Thing is, this really poses a problem for us."

I nodded.

Tari held onto my shoulder, prompting me to stop.

"Arian..."

I looked at her.

"Tari... well get out of this... somehow."
Tari smiled.

"We will... but... we need to get Sol and Luna out of here..."

I looked at Luna as she held tightly onto Taris hand.

"Your right... but we can't leave. We've been blockaded on all sides."

Sol sighed.

"Your right, your right. Well, if we survive the attack, I'm sure an opportunity will make itself clear to us."

I looked at the walls as soldiers ran to and fro along them, firing down below them.

"I hope your right..."
We continued on to the center of town where four buildings stood in a circle, a large tower in the center of it.

Soldiers stood at a checkpoint as they looked at us.

"This way. Bunker four to your left is where you will be staying."
Tari grabbed onto Sol and Lunas hand as she pulled them with her.

"Thank you..."

She looked behind her shoulder at me.

"Be safe, alright?"

I nodded.

I watched them as they made their way into the bunker, before I turned around and made my way towards the walls.

Explosions shook the ground, as more artillery shells were fired.

The vibrations and the sounds only grew louder as I approached the walls.

Reven waited for me at the stairway, his pistol tight in his grip.

He looked at me uncertainly.

"Arian... good to see you."
I flinched as the artillary batteries fired once more.

"Good to see you too Reven..."

Reven looked up at the walls.

"This is a mess... soldiers are everywhere and everything is in chaos... the communication system is a complete mess... and the soldiers are growing weary. Look... Arian. I need you to tell me if, there is a mutiny on our hands."

A mutiny...? I suppose... it was just a matter of time."
I held onto my rifle firmly in my hands.

"Yeah... I will Reven."

Reven looked around for a moment.

"Just... one more thing, Arian. The Solfree sent out a... no never mind. You have enough to deal with. I don't want you on the walls, you hear me? I'm sure that the siege is going to advance to bombing fairly soon. Stay on patrol in the city, close to the walls, not on them arlight?"

"I got it Reven."
Reven shook his head.

"Looks like we're going to have to hold firm."