Chapter 10: New

I stayed lying in bed for a while as Sol and Luna eventually fell asleep.

I sat up onto the edge of the bed, the pain in my shoulder already passed.

I wonder where Tari is...? I better go find her

I stood up from the bed and shakily walked out of the room, locking the door behind me.

Better safe than sorry I guess...

I made my way down the hall and to the front desk where a new soldier sat in the chair.

They looked at my shoulder.

"You shouldn't be up-"
Tari walked into the building.

"Don't worry about him, I'm sure he'll be fine. Besides, Reven needs him..."
The soldier on the other side of the desk looked at Tari.

"Mam, I'm going to need some certification for that claim-"
Tari held out a small note.

The soldier grabbed it and read it over.

"Ah... I see. Alright. Carry on then..."
I looked at Tari.

Tari smiled at me.

Together we walked outside of the Barracks and into the brightly lit sidewalk outside.

Tari led me in the opposite direction of the military command building.

"Where are you taking me?"
Tari stayed silent and continued to walk for a ways until we stopped at a bench, near a small tree.

She sat down and motioned for me to sit next to her.

I sat down and looked at her.

"What is it?"

Tari looked at me.

"Arian... do you ever get lonely?"
That came out of nowhere...

"Sure... I guess..."
Tari nodded her head.

"So do I..."
Tari looked away from me for a moment.

"Look... you're the only person I really know... and you don't seem like a bad guy..."

What is she getting at...?

"Tari, what's going on...?"

Tari looked at me embarrassed.

"Look, Reven and I had talked... and well, as it turns out, they know that I am not supposed to be here-I came here illegally with Sol and Luna... but he did tell me there was a way I could stay."

"What is it...?"
Tari looked at the ground for a moment.

"If I were to marry somebody from here... I wouldn't have to leave, and Sol and Luna wouldn't either. That's why... Arian, please marry me!"
Tari looked at me pleadingly.

Marry you...?

"Tari... this is..."

Tari nodded her head.

"I... I know... it was... it's selfish of me to ask without even knowing you that well... but Arian..."
Tari...

I held out my hand slightly, next to hers.

"Look... if it... if it's the only way for you to stay, I'll do it, alright?"

Tari looked at me surprised.

"Arian...?"
What have I gotten myself into this time...?

"Tari... up till today, I've thought that life has been meaningless, but I realize my past has made me afraid of living... afraid of dying, and so I chose not to care because I had no reason to live. Maybe its time I try... its time I try to live. I hardly know anybody but Reven... but in time I want to... I don't know. In time... maybe I will come to know you as well as Reven knows me."
Tari smiled.

"I see... well, I guess were two broken people anyway, right?"
I shook my head.

"Broken... no."

Tari stood up as she held out her hand.

"Well, let's go."

I grabbed her hand as she helped me get back up from the bench.

Her hand is soft and warm...

We walked together towards a large church, near the center of town.

We passed in silence, very few people out. Some in their stores and others sitting in benches.

As we came to the entrance of the church, Tari grabbed ahold of my hand.

"Last chance Arian... you don't have to do this for me."
I shook my head.

"I don't... but I will anyway."
Tari closed her eyes as she smiled.

"Alright... please take care of me then."

We walked into the church together to find Reven standing next to a priest, the priest looking at us with a humble smile. Reven looked at me happily.

"Arian... I hope you're ready for a new part of life."