Chapter 3-The Rejection

All Rights Reserved

Chapter 3-The Rejection

Jack Donnahue's POV 

"What do you mean you brought the flowers back?" I frowned.

"She didn't want it and the florists do not accept refunds or returns." Max repeated and shoved the flowers into my hands. "Well did you say it was from me?" I pressed and Max grinned. "Yeah. She says she doesn't like flowers."

I blinked and burst into laughter. "What are you saying? Everyone likes flowers. How can she not like flowers?"

Max rolled his eyes and took the flowers away from my grasp and set it down onto the table beside us. "That's what I'm saying. I believe her exact words were: I don't have a particular fancy for flowers."

That did sound like what Emma would have said (even though I only met her for like ten minutes). "You're kidding." All traces of amusement and laughter was gone from my face. "But everyone loves flowers!" I protested.

Max shrugged and shoved his hands into his pockets. "Well, not her." I frowned. "Well, what did she say when she realised that it was from me?" I asked hopefully.

Max grinned knowingly. "She wasn't really pleased. In fact she looked quite annoyed to see me and the flowers."

"Oh." I clenched my jaw and my face fell while my mind was already thinking of ways to win her over. But seriously, wasn't flowers something everyone liked? And wasn't it considered romantic or something? Or had I learned it all wrong from my sister and my sister-in-laws?

"But Jack, I have to ask why exactly are you interested in her? She seems to not even like you and she's not really your type." Max questioned with a grin as he studied me.

I scoffed and scrolled through the web on my phone, looking for the number of the museum. "What are you talking about? Everyone is my type."

Max rolled his eyes before listing off, "She's smart, she's pretty and she has head screwed on tight. Not like those other women you hung out with."

"Hey! Natalie was smart alright!" I said defensively.

"Yeah I thought so too until she claimed that Mt. Everest was a volcano." Max commented dryly and I frowned, "Yeah, well what about Kayla?"

"She thought Hollywood was a state here in the U.S."

I stifled a grin at the absurdity of some of the flings I had in the past but seeing the look of absolute disbelief on Max's face as he recalled all those past experiences, I couldn't help but let my mouth twitch before bursting into laughter.

"Yeah, go ahead and laugh. But all I can say is, this woman you're after, she's too smart for you."

Looking up at him, "What do you mean by that?" I questioned as I studied the flowers on the table. Max sighed and sat opposite me.

"She's way out of your league. She works in a museum and she looks very smart. And from what I saw yesterday, she might have a boyfriend."

I frowned at that, "How can she be out of my league? I'm Jack Donnahue, an A-list actor!"

Max rolled his eyes and crossed his arms. "Yeah, all you have to do is recite a couple of lines in front of a camera and look pretty-"

"Hey!" I retorted defensively and Max ignored me and continued. "Well, like I said earlier, Emma Greywood is way smarter than you."

I perked up upon hearing that. "Her last name is Greywood?" Max nodded his head. "Yes, though once again, she didn't seem too pleased to know that I knew her surname."