Chapter 9-The Confusion

All Rights Reserved

Chapter 9-The Confusion

Jack Donnahue's POV

What the hell?

Emma had a kid? 

My mind had been stuck on that fact the whole of last night, thus not allowing me to sleep at all. Was that what Emma meant when she said she had responsibilities? Or could I be overthinking about things and blowing them out of proportion? 

I knew it was common for some people to be single parents but Emma? She didn't seem like the type. And then again, I may be jumping to conclusions. 

I groaned and sat up in my bed. I was going crazy with all these thoughts about Emma. Was that her daughter on her phone? It seemed quite likely. The fact that she didn't want anything to do with me and reporters was a dead giveaway because that's what any parent would do. 

I know I should feel relieved that I had managed to barely avoid something like this. I wasn't that great around kids. With my niece and two nephews, I was awkward around them. Unless they asked me to teach them poker or something. 

But instead of pure relief, I was just confused. And a little disappointed. Not because Emma had a kid but because she didn't tell me. 

I had to get to the bottom of this. 

I put on a pair of sunglasses and quickly dressed and placed a beanie on my head as a disguise (sort of) and left for the museum. It was about noon when I reached and before I could exit my car, I spotted Emma getting into hers and driving off before I could speak to her. 

Debating if I should follow after her, I gave in to being stupid and did. To be honest, I wasn't thinking clearly and I followed Emma through the traffic and stopped and got out of my car. 

Oh Jesus, she was picking her kid up? I stared at the kindergarten that was painted in warm colours that made it look warm and inviting for the students (I guessed).

I hesitated on staying and debated if I should quickly leave. Deciding on that, I turned back to my car and stopped when Emma called out, "Jack?" 

Oh fuck. I forced on a smile and turned to her, "Hey Emma..." I trailed off awkwardly and met her wary gaze. "What are you doing here?" She questioned, her eyes darting to me and to the kindergarten building a few metres in front of us. 

"Uh..." I trailed off, not knowing how to answer. 

She gave me an expectant gaze. Her light brown eyes were narrowed and her hair was in a disarray. I quickly forced myself to continue. "I called your phone yesterday and a young girl picked up-your daughter? And I followed you here from the museum." I finished and now Emma's face had a blank expression on. 

An awkward silence started and I felt annoyance creep up on me. Why didn't Emma tell me that she had a kid? Weren't we friends? It wasn't like I was going to judge her based on her having a kid. I mean hell, look at my own family. I was hardly in a position to judge her. 

"Why the hell didn't you tell me you had a daughter? Aren't we friends?" I asked, glad that my sunglasses was on so that Emma couldn't see the annoyance and irritation showing in my eyes. 

However, I guessed I must have done a poor job in masking those feelings in my tone because Emma narrowed her eyes dangerously. 

"Firstly, I've known you for almost two months. I wouldn't exactly consider it a long enough friendship to spill secrets. After all, you have reporters after you and I still hardly know you that much. Why would I tell you my whole life story?"