Chapter 13-The Scheme

All Rights Reserved

Chapter 13- The Scheme

Emmaline Heywood's POV

I frowned as I flipped through the files regarding the Greek artefacts that would be arriving next week for the Greek exhibition that would be happening in about four months time.

It turns out that the shipment would be late by about a week. That wasn't good considering the fact that the opening of the exhibition would have to be delayed as well. Drumming my fingers on my desk, I contemplated between requesting for more workers to set up the exhibition or delay the opening by a week.

The door opened and Zach strolled in, a pair of sunglasses shielding his eyes while sipping on a cup of iced coffee. Immediately, my mind went towards Jack.

This wasn't the first time that happened of course. The simple sight of Zach wearing a pair of sunglasses brought up the memory of Jack wearing them.

Coffee even reminded me of him.

I was definitely going mad. I quirked up an eyebrow at Zach who slid into the chair opposite mine and slid a cup of coffee that I had not notice was in his hand.

"Here, I got that thing you like. The butterscotch one which is strange because I have to ask, since when the hell did you like coffee?"

I avoided his gaze and stared at the cup containing the butterscotch flavoured coffee. Yes. That. The coffee. The same kind that Jack had gotten for me those few weeks ago.

Of course I blamed my sudden fondness for coffee on Jack. It was he that had influenced me to like them. Not that I was going to tell Zach that, he would certainly have a field day if he knew.

"I thought it was interesting that there was a butterscotch flavour for coffee. And you know I love anything to do with butterscotch." I replied, my gaze still firmly on my desk as I nonchalantly fiddled with the stationary.

Tweaking all my pens to the right, I looked up to see Zach eyeing me warily. "Is everything alright? You have that look on your face when you met someone unpleasant."

"Is it one of those nosy teachers wondering who Ella's parents are?" Zach pressed and I shook my head. "No, my parents. I met them at the hospital on Friday."

Immediately, Zach cursed and I quickly took a sip of the coffee as my best friend let out more strings of expletives that would have made my pretentious father proud. "What the fuck happened?" He demanded as a scowl crossed his face.

Ever since we had been friends, Zach had hated my parents just after the first five minutes of meeting them and well, it was safe to say that my parents disliked him in return. They felt that he wasn't good enough to be friends with, seeing that he was a nobody in Hollywood.

"Harsh words were exchanged. What else did you expect? Those nine years clearly didn't have any difference on them." I answered tonelessly, disguising the bitterness and resentment I had for my own parents.

Zach sighed heavily and reached for my hand. "Well, you don't need them anyway, you have me and Theo, and now Ella. You know I'll always be here for you."

I forced a tight smile on my face, not wanting to talk about my parents or anything or anyone from my childhood. "Yeah I know. Thank you. Anyway, what brings you by?"

Zach wrinkled his nose and slumped into the chair and sighed dramatically, "Gwennie and I went for cake testing and I guess she got sick of my whining and she told me to get lost while she made a decision."

A small smile crossed my face at that. "What's there to complain about? You love cake."

"Yeah, I know that," Zach huffed but continued, "until I realised that Gwennie only wanted flavours that were exotic, and that didn't include chocolate. It also doesn't help when I only get small bite sized pieces!"