Chapter 19-The Heart-To-Heart

All Rights Reserved

Chapter 19-The Heart-To-Heart 

Emmaline Heywood's POV

I should have known.

I should have bloody well known it.

Should've known that nothing in my life would be smooth sailing. Why didn't I see it earlier? And how long had Jack known about everything? And since when did he know?

It did explain a lot on how he seem to be waiting for something every time he was around me. It wasn't obvious, it was subtle and I had initially dismissed it as him being unsure about my reaction to him. But I was wrong. I was so stupid. How the hell could I have not seen it? Currently, I was so tempted to hit my head against the wall or something equally hard for not seeing it sooner but it was too late.

Now, the questions I had was; how much did he know? And what would happen to Ella and I? A brief moment of panic had made me wonder if Jack would go to the press but I had dismissed it. If that was his intention, he would have done it the moment he found out and besides, he wasn't the type to get attention. He was already famous enough just for being seen in a cafe.

Also, another part of me wondered if Jack had not known, would I even tell him about it? And that part made me feel guilty. Because deep down, I knew I wouldn't. So basically, our relationship would be based on lies on my part.

I was conflicted as hell.

And the anxious feeling in my gut hadn't abated ever since Ella and I left after Isadora brought the whole issue up. Another question was; how did Isadora know? Had Jack confided in her? And now, where did Jack and I stand?

I sighed heavily and flipped through the folders from work to try to distract myself from everything that had occurred in the last twenty-four hours. It was about four hours since I left and up till now, Jack hadn't even contacted me. Did that mean that we were no longer together?  

I could feel my heart sinking deeper as each minute passed and I knew everything was going to change. Grabbing another folder, I shifted on the chair before forcing myself to focus on my work, it was utterly useless in trying to anticipate something or worry about it there I had no control of.

Just as I was able to read through the documents - without worrying - the doorbell rang. Furrowing my brows, I got to my feet and glanced at the clock in the dining room. It was almost eleven and I couldn't imagine who would be at the door.

Could it be Jack? My heart rate sped up at that and when I opened the door, it really was him.

"Hey, may I come in?" he greeted hopefully while running his fingers through his hair.

Without thinking, I blurted out, "Why?"

Why was I such an idiot every time I was around him? Before I could take that back, Jack's happy demeanour seem to sink a little as he replied hesitantly, "We need to talk."

Not trusting myself to say anything sensible, I chewed on my lower lip before nodding and swung the door wider so that he could come in.

He entered the living room and stopped at the photo frames I had put back in their original place. No point in hiding them when he already knew right? "You're cute as a kid," he commented lightly with his hands shoved into the pockets of his jeans.

A small reluctant smile crossed my face at that, "Everyone is cute as a kid," I replied a little awkwardly as I wrung my hands together. Deciding to get this talk over and done with, I settled on the couch and asked, "How long have you known?"

Jack stared down at me before he ran his fingers through his hair making it even more tousled than before when he replied quietly, "That day when I babysat Ella while you went back to the museum to get your work. Ella and I were watching an action a movie and she pointed out the actor that was her father and I connected the dots."