4.2: Josh and Melanie

Ashley and Ella's movements out the door sound like a stampede in the silent room. Josh, assuming it's morning, decides to get up and start the day early. To his surprise, he looks out the window to find that it's still pitch-black, and with a glance at his watch, it turns out to be 11:30. He sits there for a few moments, upset that he'd only gotten a few minutes of sleep. 11:30! Josh flings the blanket from his torso, and looked around the room. Confirming that the spots where Ashley and Ella slept are now empty, Josh groggily picks up his head, careful to not disturb the resting boy pressed against him.

The boy looks around the room to find that the only sleeping figures left are Tyler, Marina, and Melanie. He needs to alert someone of the disappearances, but Marina and Tyler are out of the question, as Marina would throw a bitch fit and Tyler would panic, at best. His eyes land on Melanie, and Josh remembers the promise he made to Abie.

Josh tiptoes over to the sleeping girl and shakes her shoulder gently. Melanie's eyes blink open in surprise, and with Josh's face inches from hers, she lets out a small squeal.

"Jish!" The drowsy girl squeals. "Wha-who--"

"Shhh," he motions for her to quiet down. "Just come with me and I'll explain later."

She rolls out of bed, but unlike Josh, is fully clothed in pajamas and doesn't need to grab a shirt. The boy leads the way, and they tip toe out into the hallway, and moments after the door is closed to the sleeping room, Josh turns to Melanie.

"Ella and Ash just snuck out of the room in party dresses. There's no way that this can end well." Josh rubs his eyes in exhaustion from the time and worry.

Melanie looks weary, but manages to straighten her back and pull herself together. "I need some tea," she declares.

The pair creeps down into the informal dining room, where a butler places two teacups down on the table. There are butlers and maids here at all hours, because everyone knows of the royals' irregular sleeping schedules.

Josh reiterates the story, and Melanie tucks a piece of hair in her mouth to think. "They already have had enough time to get away. We can't possibly follow them now."

"Yeah, but we need to go after them. Abie-- Abie trusted me with keeping everyone out of trouble. I can't think of a situation where El and Ash partying doesn't end in trouble."

"That's true," Melanie concedes. "It would be best to see what they're up to, but as I said before, they're already long gone."

Josh deliberates for a moment, exhaling and running a hand through his scruffy hair. "Look, you can't tell anyone this," he says. "But a few months ago, I noticed Ashley disappearing a lot, and I installed a tracking device in her purse. It was sewn into the fabric or something. I usually just keep an eye on her, and I've never followed her before... but I think it's time."

Melanie lets out a small gasp. "Josh! That's-- that's..." she struggles to find a reason against what he's done. It's morally wrong, but after all of the, well, situations Ashley has gotten herself into, the benefits seem to outweigh the costs. "I guess it's kind of brilliant. Well, um, where is it?"

The prince pauses for a moment before pulling out his phone and opening an app. "Heading towards... turned onto... right near... oh, god, of course," he scowls, then his shoulders slump forwards. "Yup, it's a party. The warehouse one."

Melanie immediately knows what he's talking about. Every year, a wealthy socialite throws a massive underground party in an abandoned warehouse. It's always legendary. She lets out a little huff. "Well, this is not ideal," she notes.